OVERVIEW – Carson - Newman
SCORE: Northwood 9 Carson - Newman 13
RECORDS: Northwood 2-1, (0-0 GLIAC), Carson - Newman 5-4, (0-0 SAC)
LOCATION: Silver Diamond Baseball Complex
RECAP: Northwood falls on the road after Carson - Newman's bats come alive late.
- After falling behind 1-0 in the bottom of the third, Northwood would respond in a big way in the top of the fourth. With two Northwood runners on base, senior catcher, Grant Bridgewater stepped to the plate and blasted a towering fly ball over the left field fence for a three-run bomb. Moments later, after a David Vinsky single, Brian Dombrowski added to the big inning with a two run blast of his own, quickly putting Northwood on top, 5-1.
- The Eagles answered back with a solo shot in the home half of the fourth, trimming Northwood's lead down to 5-2.
- After a scoreless fifth, the Timberwolves remained in control and added a pair in the top of the sixth, making the score 7-2 heading to the bottom of the sixth.
- From that point forward, the bats of Carson – Newman woke up in a big way beginning with a two run home half of the sixth, to which Northwood answered with a two run seventh of their own, thanks to an RBI two-bagger by Richie O'Neil and a single by David Vinsky that scored O'Neil.
- Heading to the bottom of the seventh, the Timberwolves lead 9-4. Carson – Newman continued the theme of the bats coming alive late and exploded for six runs in the home half of the seventh. The most damaging dagger of the frame was a two-run homer off the bat of Greg Jones that pushed the Eagles in front by one run 10-9.
- The Timberwolves were unable to muster any further offense, and Carson – Newman added three more in the eighth to secure the 13-9 comeback victory.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 9/7/2 Carson - Newman 13/12/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 6 Carson - Newman: 3
- Winning Pitcher: Will Gardner (1-0) 5.2 IP, 5H, 7R, 0ER 4BB, 9SO
- Losing Pitcher: Shawn Larner (0-1) 0.2 IP, 4H, 5R, 1ER 0BB, 0SO
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- The home run for Grant Bridgewater is the first of his Northwood career as well as his first ever collegiate home run. Bridgewater played a season at Lewis University (Division II, GLVC) prior to transferring to Northwood.
- Between the two teams, there were a total of seven home runs in the game.
- The five home runs given up by Northwood are the most homers surrendered in a single game since April 17th, 2002.
- The Timberwolves will continue the weekend series at Carson-Newman with a game on Saturday, (February 18). First pitch is slated for noon.