OVERVIEW – Chestnut Hill College
SCORE: Northwood 7, Chestnut Hill 1
RECORDS: Northwood 7-3, Chestnut Hill 0-1
LOCATION: Lake Myrtle Sports Complex
RECAP: Northwood's pitching staff shuts down Chestnut Hill; offense comes alive late for 7-1 victory in Fort Pierce, Fla.
- The Timberwolves manufactured a run in the opening inning when Connor Foley lead off the game with a base on balls and later stole third base and scored on a sacrifice fly by Daniel Pulver.
- In the top of the third inning, Northwood took advantage of a Chestnut Hill arrent pick-off attempt after David Vinsky had walked. Vinsky advanced all the way to third on the over-throw, and later scored on an RBI groundout by Ryan McClelland to put Northwood up 2-0.
- The Griffins scratched one across in the home half of the frame to cut the lead in half at 2-1. The score would remain 2-1 for the next four innings as both pitchers settled in nicely and both defenses played sound behind them.
- Despite Chestnut Hill threatening a couple of times, Northwood still held the one run lead heading to the top of the eighth. The Timberwolves gave themselves some breathing room after a huge five run inning in which they sent 10 batters to the plate.
- Kyle Ziegler led off the inning reaching first on an error. After a sacrifice bunt by Austin Gonzer and a double by Robert Spencer, Brian Dombrowski singled home both Ziegler for the first run of the inning. Two batters later, Northwood had runners on second and third with two outs when David Vinsky smashed a clutch, two out, two RBI double to put Northwood up 5-1. The Timberwolves weren't done as Daniel Pulver would then reach on a free pass, and Ryan McClelland cranked a towering fly ball that the wind knocked down for a two RBI double, scoring Vinsky and Pulver, capping the five run frame for NU and making the score 7-1.
- The duo on the mound of Nathan Langenfeld and Lennon Gwizdala carried the Timberwolves as the two combined to hold Chestnut Hill to just the one run. Langenfeld claims the win tossing five innings and surrounding just the one run, while Gwizdala earns the save after hurling four scoreless innings and preserving the 7-1 win for Northwood.
GAME 1 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 7/9/2 Chestnut Hill 1/4/3
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 12 Chestnut Hill: 5
- Winning Pitcher: Nathan Langenfeld (1-0) 5 IP, 3H, 1R, 1ER, 2BB, 3K
- Losing Pitcher: Patrick Kelley (0-1) 1IP, 3H, 2R, 1ER, 6BB, 2K
- Save: Lennon Gwizdala (1) 4IP, 1H, 0R, 0ER, 3BB, 4K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
COACH JORDAN BISCHEL
"Against quality competition, our team has done a really good job competing and handling adversity."
"Our depth has really proven to be an asset as numerous guys are making key contributions."
"I am excited to see how we compete tomorrow against an outstanding St. Joe's program."
- Chestnut Hill's one run is the lowest run total of an opponent this season for Northwood.
- Northwood held Chestnut Hill scoreless for six consecutive innings, the longest scoreless streak this season.
- Six out of Northwood's seven runs were unearned runs.
- Northwood has won three consecutive games for the first time of the young 2017 campaign
- Four out of Northwood's seven runs came with two outs.
- Northwood will play against St. Joseph's (Ind.) tomorrow (March 5). The game will be held in Auburndale, Fla at the Lake Myrtle Sports Complex and first pitch is scheduled for 12:30 PM.