NCAA DIVISION II MIDWEST REGIONAL TOURNAMENT
#1 NORTHWOOD VS. #4 DRURY
SCORE: Northwood 3 , Drury 2
RECORDS: Northwood 44-11, Drury 37-18
LOCATION: Gerace Stadium, Northwood University, Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Timberwolves earn 3-2 victory behind complete game pitching performance from Ian Dimitrie to begin regional tournament with back to back wins.
- For the second consecutive game the Northwood Timberwolves jumped out to a lead in the first inning. David Vinsky and Ryan McClelland started things with a pair of one out singles. After a costly error that loaded the bases, Kyle Ziegler delivered with a two run, two out single to score Vinsky and McClelland and put Northwood up 2-0 after one inning.
- Just as the Timberwolves did in the first inning in scoring with two outs, Drury produced a pair of runs with timely hitting in the top of the third. With two aboard and two out, KK Daniel lined a single into left field to tie the game at two.
- After both pitchers dominated the middle innings and the game remained tied at two, Northwood broke the tie in the bottom of the seventh. Richie O'Neil and Connor Foley set the table with back to back singles to begin the inning. With runners at the corners and one out, Ryan McClelland singled up the middle to score Miles Hardy who had pinch ran for O'Neil making it 3-2 Timberwolves.
- Ian Dimitrie continued the incredible performance on the mound for Northwood and carried the Timberwolves to victory with his second consecutive complete game and the Timberwolves earned the 3-2 win.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 3/9/2 Drury 2/5/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 8 Drury: 4
- Winning Pitcher: Ian Dimitrie (7-4) 9 IP, 6H, 1R, 1ER, 1BB, 3K
- Losing Pitcher: Garrett Woods (8-3) 6.1 IP, 9H, 3R, 1ER, 0BB, 8K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- The Timberwolves have now won 11 games in a row, a school record.
- Ian Dimitrie has tossed complete games in a winning effort in back to back starts.
- Northwood is 9-1 in one run games in 2017.
- Northwood is 18-2 at Gerace Stadium in 2017.
COACH JORDAN BISCHEL
"Today was a great baseball game with two outstanding pitching performances. Both young men were outstanding. We are excited to play again tomorrow."
- Northwood continues in the winner's bracket of the NCAA DII Midwest Regional Tournament. The Timberwolves will play tomorrow (May 20th) at 7 pm against the winner of Saint Joseph's College and Quincy University.