OVERVIEW – LEWIS
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 6, Lewis Flyers 0; Northwood 7, Lewis 4
RECORDS: Northwood 3-5, Lewis 1-2 (Trevecca Nazarene University)
LOCATION: Jackson Field – Nashville, Tenn.
RECAP: Northwood sweeps a neutral-site doubleheader against Lewis Sunday afternoon (February 25), winning the first game 6-0 before taking the nightcap 7-4
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The key inning of the contest was the top of the second, as the Timberwolves plated five of the six runs of the game. Collin McClelland got things going with an RBI double that plated Javier Martinez.
- Later in the inning, McClelland scored on a passed ball to make the score 2-0.
- Nick Palmer then made it 3-0 on a bases-loaded walk that scored Travis Janes.
- Ryan McClelland finished out the big inning with a two-run single that scored Michael Karam and Keaton Sackett.
- That was all the offense that senior starter Tyler Jandron needed, as he tossed his fourth shutout over the last two seasons. He did not allow a hit until there was two outs in the fourth inning. Jandron ended up allowing two singles and one walk while striking out 13 in seven innings of work.
- Northwood did get one more run in the top of the seventh on a Sackett RBI single that scored Miles Hardy.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 6/5/0, Lewis: 0/2/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 9, Lewis: 9
- Winning Pitcher: Tyler Jandron (1-1) CG, 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 13 K, BB
- Losing Pitcher: Jay Militello (0-1) 2 2/3 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 3 K, 3 BBs
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- C. McClelland: 1-2, 2B, RBI, R, 2 BB
- R. McClelland: 1-4, 2 RBIs
- Sackett: 1-3, R, RBI
- Janes: 1-3, R
- Jandron's fourth career shutout set a new Northwood school record. Eight pitchers in school history had three shutouts, but Jandron is the first to reach four.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Lewis was the better team early in the game, getting solo home runs in the top of the first and fourth innings to lead 2-0.
- Northwood got going in the middle innings, starting with a three-run fourth. Colin McClelland got the Timberwolves started with a solo homer.
- Janes tied the game at 2-2 thanks to scoring from third on a wild pitch.
- A Noah Ingram ground out scored Keaton Sackett gave Northwood a 3-2 lead after four innings.
- NU extended their lead in the bottom of the fifth on a fielder's choice by Sackett that scored Martinez to make the scored 4-2.
- In the sixth, Ryan McClelland scored on an error, pushing the NU advantage to 5-2.
- The Timberwolves then scored two more in the seventh, starting with a Palmer RBI single that scored Chris Clark.
- Palmer then came around on a David Vinsky triple to send the game to the eighth with the Timberwolves leading 7-2.
- Lewis got a pair in the ninth before Northwood closed out the victory.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 7/14/1, Lewis: 4/5/4
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 13, Lewis: 8
- Winning Pitcher: Max Bain (1-0) 2 1/3 IP, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K
- Losing Pitcher: Blake Marks (0-1) 4.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 K
- Save: Lennon Gwizdala (1) 3.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 4 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- C. McClelland: 3-4, HR (1), R, RBI
- Vinsky: 3-5, 3B, RBI
- R. McClelland: 2-4, R
- Palmer: 2-5, R, RBI
- Northwood will next play on their annual trip to Florida for Spring Break, which will start March 8 against Rockhurst. First pitch is set for 11 a.m.