SCORE: Ohio Dominican 35, Northwood 28
RECORDS: Northwood (1-6, 1-6 GLIAC), Ohio Dominican (4-3, 4-3 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Panther Stadium – Columbus, Ohio
RECAP: Ohio Dominican used big plays early and held off a Northwood comeback in a 35-28 ODU win over NU Saturday afternoon (October 15).
INSIDE THE GAME
- Ohio Dominican wasted little time getting on the board early, using a 54-yard reception to set up a 25-yard TD to put ODU up 7-0
- Northwood responded with a good-looking drive, getting to the Panther 13 yard line. But Ohio Dominican returned an interception 92 yards for a touchdown, putting ODU up 14-0 less than six minutes into the game.
- The Timberwolves put together another good drive and this time found the end zone. Northwood went 68 yards in 10 plays, capped by an Abdul Levy four-yard run to make the score 14-7.
- Once again, ODU used a big play to respond. On the following kickoff, the Panthers took it back 100 yards for a touchdown, putting the lead back up to 14 at 21-7.
- Ohio Dominican eventually led 28-7 when Northwood began to fight back. NU scored two straight touchdowns in a span of less than three minutes. The first of which came on a Joe Garbarino 13-yard run to cap a 79-yard, 13-play drive to cut the lead down to 28-14.
- Then at the 6:06 mark of the second quarter, Levy scored his second TD of the day, this time from one-yard out to make the score 28-21.
- On their final drive of the first half, the Panthers went 73 yards in 16 plays to make the score 35-21 at the break.
- After such a high-scoring opening half, it was the defenses that shined in the final 30 minutes of the game. The lone points of the half came at the 5:06 mark of the fourth quarter on a Theron Wilson 15-yard TD reception from Jimmy Strom. Prior to that, the two teams had combined to punt 12 straight times after the break.
- Northwood eventually got the ball back with 2:28 remaining, trailing by seven. But the Timberwolves were unable to get a drive going, closing out their final chance to tie the game.
- FIRST DOWNS: Ohio Dominican 13 Northwood 19
- RUSHES-YARDS: Ohio Dominican 34-78, Northwood 54-268
- PASSING YARDS: Ohio Dominican 238, Northwood 60
- TOTAL OFFENSE, PLAYS-YARDS: Ohio Dominican 58-316, Northwood 74-328
- TIME OF POSSESSION: Ohio Dominican 25:13, Northwood 34:47
- TURNOVERS: Ohio Dominican 1, Northwood 1
- Levy: 15 carries, 99 yards, 2 TDs
- Garbarino: 20 carries, 73 yards, 1 TD
- Michael Fisher: Nine tackles
- Nick Tripp: Eight tackles, 1 INT
- Northwood has now out-gained their opponents in total yards in four of seven games this season. Despite that, NU is just 1-3 in those games.
- The Timberwolves will host Michigan Tech Saturday (October 22). Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.