SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 20, Wayne State Warriors 10
RECORDS: Northwood (4-3, 2-3 GLIAC), Wayne State (2-5, 1-4 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Adams Field - Detroit, Mich.
RECAP: A big third quarter and a strong second half defensive effort leads Northwood to a 20-10 road win over Wayne State Saturday night (October 14).
INSIDE THE GAME
- Wayne State got on the board first thanks to a Northwood turnover. After a fumble, Wayne State took over at the Northwood 13. The Timberwolves defense held, however, holding the Warriors to a 28-yard field goal to put WS up 3-0.
- WSU extended their lead midway through the second quarter. The Warriors went 60 yards in eight plays. Their 4:04 drive was capped by a touchdown, putting Wayne State up 10-0 with 8:38 remaining in the opening half.
- Northwood responded right away, getting on the board for the first time on the following drive. After a 57-yard kickoff return by Andre Carter, Northwood went 32 yards in five plays. The drive was capped by a Joe Garbarino 12-yard touchdown pass to Gary Landless to cut the lead to 10-7.
- That score proved to be the final points of the opening half. The stats after 30 minutes were in favor of Wayne State – the Warriors out-gained Northwood 226-76 in the opening half.
- The third quarter proved to be the key stretch of the game, as the Timberwolves dominated play in the frame. NU got the ball to start the second half and got another good kick return from Carter. His 40-yard return gave NU the ball at the Wayne State 42. Six plays later, Garbarino found Landless again, this time from 16 yards out for another TD. That put the Timberwolves on top for the first time 13-10 with 12:15 remaining in the third quarter.
- After a three and out on defense, The Timberwolves got the ball right back and went right down the field again. This time, Northwood covered 62 yards on four plays, highlighted by a Justin Cook 49-yard run. Garbarino capped the drive with a one-yard run, making the score 20-10 with 9:03 remaining in the third quarter.
- While both teams had chances to score the rest of the way, Garbarino's touchdown proved to be the last points of the contest.
- FIRST DOWNS: Wayne State 13, Northwood 11
- RUSHES-YARDS: Northwood 44-187, Wayne State 41-78
- COMPLETIONS-ATTEMPTS-INT's-PASSING YARDS: Wayne State 19-41-0-249, Northwood 4-14-1-45
- TOTAL OFFENSE, PLAYS-YARDS: Northwood 58-232, Wayne State 82-327
- TIME OF POSSESSION: Wayne State 35:16, Northwood 24:44
- Garbarino: 45 yards passing, 2 TDs, 58 yards rushing, TD
- Landless: 2 receptions, 28 yards, 2 TDs
- Charles Williams: 11 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, sack, four quarterback hurries
- Travis Wiltjer: 13 tackles, forced fumble
- Northwood has now exceeded their win total from last year's 3-8 campaign.
- After Wayne State gained 226 yards in the opening half, Northwood held the Warriors to 101 yards of offense after the break.
- The Timberwolves will return home to host Davenport Saturday (October 21). Game time is set for 1 p.m.