OVERVIEW – CALVIN (EXHIBITION)
SCORE: Northwood 69, Calvin 66
RECORDS: Northwood (0-0), Calvin (0-0)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood earns hard-fought 69-66 win over Calvin to conclude exhibition play Saturday afternoon (November 5).
- Calvin got off to a good start in the game, earning an 18-7 lead with just under 13 minutes remaining in the first half.
- The Timberwolves responded, going back on top 26-24 with 4:50 left in the half.
- The Timberwolves eventually led 36-35 at the break.
- Northwood shot 39.4 percent from the floor (13-33), compared to 44.4 percent for Calvin (12-27). Both teams shot it well from beyond the arc – Calvin finished the opening 20 minutes at 50 percent (5-10) while Northwood ended at 46.7 percent (7-15).
- Northwood never trailed in the second half, but Calvin remained close. NU's biggest lead of the game was eight points, which it held on five separate occasions.
- The Timberwolves led by three in the final moments when Calvin had a chance to tie the game but were unable to convert.
- Calvin had a better field goal percentage (48.1-37.5) than Northwood, but the Timberwolves got six second chance points and out-scored the Knights 8-2 from the foul line after the break.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northwood .385 (25-65), Calvin .463 (25-54)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE : Northwood .320 (8-25), Calvin .421 (8-19)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northwood .846 (11-13), Calvin .727 (8-11)
- REBOUNDS: Northwood 41 (13 offensive), Calvin 35 (three offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northwood 14/15, Calvin 16/14
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Matt Crowl: 14 points, 11 rebounds, three blocks
- Brad Schaub: 14 points, seven rebounds, three assists, two steals
- Northwood out-scored Calvin 10-2 in second chance points for the game, while Calvin out-scored Northwood 25-12 in points off turnovers and 7-0 in fast break points.
- The Timberwolves will open the regular season with a home game against St. Joseph's as a part of the GLIAC/GLVC Challenge Friday night (November 11). Game time is set for 6 p.m.