OVERVIEW – No. 3 BELLARMINE
SCORE: No. 3 Bellarmine 85, Northwood 70
RECORDS: Northwood (0-2), Bellarmine (1-1)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood battles back, but a late push by No. 3 Bellarmine gives the Knights an 85-70 win over the Timberwolves Saturday (November 12).
- Bellarmine got off to a fast start to the tune of a 7-3 run. Northwood would come back to tie it at seven, but another 17-9 momentum swing had them up 24-16 at the midway point.
- The Knights would extend their lead to as many as 18, but a late push by the Timberwolves cut the advantage down to 51-41 at the break. The highlight of the opening half for NU was Kyle Godfrey knocking down shot from well beyond half court as the opening half expired.
- The Timberwolves stayed in the game due highly in part to their accuracy from behind the arc netting 61.5% of their shots from deep (8-13). Bellarmine earned the lead thanks to shooting 71.4 percent both overall (15-21) and from beyond the arc (5-7).
- Bellarmine maintained the lead throughout the second half, but the Timberwolves hung around the majority of the time. NU cut the advantage down to 65-60 with less than nine minutes to go in the game.
- BU finished the game strong, however, scoring 20 of the final 30 points A 20-10 run from the time when the Timberwolves were five points away put the game on ice for the Knights as they eventually cruised to a 15-point victory.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Bellarmine .556 (25-45), Northwood .457 (21-46)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE : Northwood .500 (14-28), Bellarmine .412 (7-17)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Bellarmine .875 (28-32), Northwood .778 (14-18)
- REBOUNDS: Northwood 29 (9 offensive), Bellarmine 22 (3 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northwood 15/20, Bellarmine 18/7
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Nick Spitzley: 19 points, five three-point field goals
- Kyle Godfrey: 16 points, three rebounds, one block, four three-point field goals
- Matt Crowl: 14 points, eight rebounds, one steal, one assist, two three-point field goals
- Bellarmine outscored Northwood in the paint (30-8), off of turnovers (27-9), on second chances (7-4), and off of the fast break (6-0).
- The Timberwolves will hit the road and head to Wisconsin Parkside Thursday (November 17). Game time is set for 7 p.m.