OVERVIEW – WASHBURN
SCORE: Washburn 66, Northwood 64
RECORDS: Northwood (0-5), Washburn (4-0)
LOCATION: University of Puerto Rico – Bayamon. Bayamon, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
RECAP: Northwood falls 66-64 against Washburn in a tightly contested battle in San Juan, Puerto Rico in their first game of the Puerto Rico Clasico.
- A power outage throughout the campus of the University of Puerto Rico – Bayamon delayed the start of the game between Northwood and Washburn.
- When the action finally began, the two teams exchanged buckets several times and by the first media timeout, the score was tied at ten.
- Washburn pulled ahead momentarily to take a 27-22 lead, as well as a 35-32 lead but on the final possession of the half, the Timberwolves tied it up when Jarel Woolridge found Zach Allread who drilled a 3-pointer at the buzzer.
- In the first half, Northwood shot 41% from the floor on 12 of 29 shooting while the Ichabods shot 47% on 14 of 30 shooting.
- Northwood came out of the half-time break with great energy and pulled ahead in the opening minutes with solid defense and efficient offense. The Timberwolves lead 48-43 after the first media timeout of the second half.
- Washburn then responded to eventually take a 54-51 lead with just under ten minutes left in the game.
- From that point on, it was a tightly contested contest as both teams tried to grind out a victory in warm, humid conditions. At the 2:27 mark, the game was tied at 60.
- After Washburn scored to take a 62-60 lead, Northwood had a pair of free-throws and connected on one of two, leaving the score 62-61 in favor of Washburn.
- The following possession saw Washburn's Cameron Wiggins hit a contested three pointer with the shot clock winding down to push the Ichabods ahead 65-61 with under a minute to play.
- Northwood continued to fight in the form of another huge three point shot by Allread, bringing NU within one point, 65-64.
- After Washburn went one of two from the foul line, Northwood had the ball with under 8 seconds to play, trailing 66-64 but were unable to tie the game or take the lead.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Washburn .456 (26-57), Northwood .377 (20-53)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE : Washburn.417 (5-12), Northwood .308 (8-26)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Washburn .500 (9-18), Northwood .727 (16-22)
- REBOUNDS: Northwood 38 (10 offensive), Washburn 33 (9 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northwood 10/19, Washburn 11/14
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Washburn outscored Northwood in the paint (24-14) and off of turnovers (21-12)
- Northwood outscored Washburn from the free throw line (16-9) and from beyond the three point line (24-15) and out rebounded the Ichabods 38-33.
- This was the first meeting in school history between Washburn and Northwood.
- The Timberwolves will play against Lubbock – Christian on Friday (November 25) as part of the Puerto Rico Clasico. Game time is set for 3PM Atlantic Time, 2PM Eastern Standard Time.