OVERVIEW – LUBBOCK CHRISTIAN
SCORE: Lubbock Christian 76, Northwood 75
RECORDS: Northwood (0-6), Lubbock Christian (5-2)
LOCATION: Roberto Clemente Coliseum – San Juan, Puerto Rico.
RECAP: Northwood falls in OT 76-75 against Lubbock Christian in a wild game from San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- The opening minutes of the contest saw Lubbock Christian jump out to an 11-0 lead after capitalizing on several Northwood turnovers.
- Zach Allread helped get the Timberwolves back on track as he scored 10 first half points and Northwood fought back, eventually leading 30-24 with 3:39 to play in the first half.
- Lubbock Christian then responded to close the gap to two points at the halftime break, leaving the score 32-30 in favor of the Timberwolves.
- The Chaps built some early momentum out of the break, scoring 13 of the first 19 points to regain a 43-38 edge six minutes into the second half.
- Seven minutes later, Northwood found themselves in front by one point, 47-46 with seven minutes left in the game.
- Deadlocked at 54 after the final media timeout, the final 3:31 of regulation would prove to be tremendously memorable.
- After the two teams exchange three-pointers in the final minutes, Northwood trailed by two, 62-60 with 22 seconds to play. Unable to score on the first sequence, Northwood got another chance with five seconds left after an offensive rebound and the ball went out of bounds off of Lubbock Christian.
- With five seconds on the clock, Northwood ran an inbounds play from under their basket, but couldn't get the shot to fall, and Lubbock Christian came down with the rebound, forcing the Timberwolves to foul with just one second left.
- Leading by two and a chance to seal the game for Lubbock Christian, Isaac Cardona was at the free throw line shooting two. He made the first, but missed the second and Northwood called timeout immediately.
- With one second on the clock, and NU trailing by three, Brad Schaub inbounded to Jure Prus who heaved a shot from well beyond the half court line. Against all odds, Prus' shot found the bottom of the net and sent the game to overtime in dramatic fashion.
- With complete momentum heading into the extra session, Northwood took control early as Nick Spitzley hit a three point shot to give NU the lead. Lubbock Christian responded with a three of their own, and the game was once again tied at 66 apiece.
- Spitzley continued the scoring in the overtime session and Matt Crowl also knocked down a big shot for Northwood, who found themselves in front 70-66 with 1:13 to play.
- Lubbock Christian fought back with a three by Marcus Schuster, making it 70-69, Northwood still with the lead.
- In the final minutes, Northwood pulled ahead 75-73 but Lubbock Christian had the basketball trailing by two. With the clock winding down, Schuster drove to the basket, drew a foul on Northwood, and made a tough shot to tie the game. This time with the game on the line, Lubbock Christian converted the free throw, and took the one point lead with three seconds left.
- Lightning only struck once for Northwood as this time a half court heave fell short and Northwood suffered the difficult defeat, 76-75.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lubbock Christian .403 (27-67), Northwood .381 (24-63)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE : Lubbock Christian.364 (8-22), Northwood .270 (10-37)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lubbock Christian .667 (14-21), Northwood .708 (17-24)
- REBOUNDS: Northwood 46 (11 offensive), Lubbock Christian 44 (10 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northwood 15/14, Lubbock Christian 12/10
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Zach Allread: 15 points, two rebounds
- Matt Crowl: nine points, four rebounds
- David Jelinek: nine points
- Lubbock Christian outscored Northwood in the paint (28-24) off of turnovers (16-13) and on second chance points 11-5)
- Northwood outscored Lubbock Christian off the Bench (34-21)
- Lubbock Christian was 2-2 from beyond the three point line in the OT session.
- This was the first meeting in school history between Lubbock Christian and Northwood.
- The Timberwolves will play against Quincy on Saturday (November 26) as part of the Puerto Rico Clasico. Game time is set for 12PM Atlantic Time, 11AM Eastern Standard Time.