OVERVIEW – TIFFIN
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 74, Tiffin Dragons 56
RECORDS: Northwood (1-7), (1-0 GLIAC) Tiffin (3-4), (1-0 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Timberwolves pick up first win of the season in convincing fashion, downing Tiffin 74-56 Thursday night (December 1).
- The Dragons started the contest with an 11-6 lead. Northwood would, however, eventually catch fire and ride a 17-5 run to open up a seven-point lead with five minutes to play in the first stanza.
- That run would grow to 34-13 as Northwood more than doubled their lead by the end of the half at 40-24 behind a solid period from the field sinking 51.6% of their shots (16-31) including 37.5% from behind the arc (6-16).
- Tiffin would cut down to ten early in the second half, but the Timberwolves would hold firm and maintain the advantage. NU led got the lead back up to 22 a 16-4 run to lead 61-39. They wouldn't look back from there, ending the game on top by a comfortable margin.
- Though Northwood did not shoot nearly as well from the field in the second half (36.4 percent - 12-33), the Timberwolves did knock down six 3-pointers after the break. Tiffin shot a higher percentage than NU in the second half (40.9 percent) but they made just two 3-pointers after the break.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northwood .438 (28-64), Tiffin .354 (17-48)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE : Northwood .353 (12-34), Tiffin .154 (2-13)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Tiffin .769 (20-26), Northwood .545 (6-11)
- REBOUNDS: Northwood 43 (14 offensive), Tiffin 31 (5 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northwood 17/13, Tiffin 5/13
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Nick Spitzley, 20 points (6-13 3-ptrs), four assists, three rebounds
- Matt Crowl, 14 points, 13 rebounds (seven offensive), two assists, two steals, one block
- Kyle Lamotte, 13 points, (3-5 3-ptrs), one assist, one block
- Northwood outscored Tiffin in the paint 30-26, off of turnovers 20-14, 14-2 on second chance, and 27-16 off the bench.
- The Timberwolves will host the Ashland on Saturday (Dec. 3), for a game against the Eagles. Tip off is set for 3 p.m.