SCORE: Northwood 3, Saginaw Valley 2
RECORDS: Northwood (2-0, 1-0-0 GLIAC), Saginaw Valley (2-1, 0-1-0 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Dean Field - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Bryan Lawson caps comeback for Timberwolves in 3-2 overtime thriller.
INSIDE THE GAME
- In a back-and-forth contest, Saginaw Valley scored a pair in the opening half. The Cardinals scored in the 17th and the 43rd minute to take a 2-0 lead at the break. Northwood held a 5-3 edge in shots in the opening half.
- At 61 minute mark, Northwood got on the board. James Vaughan (Bexhill, England/S. Richards) sent a floating free kick from midfield to the right side of the net where junior Zachary Bakos (Linden, Mich./Linden) headed the ball home to cut the lead to 2-1.
- Just moments after Vaughan hit the post on a free kick, he took advantage of a mistake by the SVSU keeper. Vaughan corralled an errant clearance near midfield and buried a shot to tie the game 2-2 at 78:15. Neither team would score the rest of the way in regulation, sending the contest to overtime.
- Less than two minutes into the extra session, Northwood earned the victory. Freshman Ben Campbell (Macomb, Mich./Eisenhower) headed down a ball to junior Bryan Lawson (Troy, Mich./Athens) who fired a shot in the top right corner of the net for a Northwood victory.
- SHOTS: Saginaw Valley 9, Northwood 8
- SAVES: Northwood 2, Saginaw Valley 0
- CORNER KICKS: Saginaw Valley 7, Northwood 4
- FOULS: Northwood 18, Saginaw Valley 11
- The Timberwolves are now 4-2-1 against SVSU over the past three seasons with at least one more game between the two teams this year.
- Bryan Lawson's overtime winner was the second of his career and first game-winning goal.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Tiffin this Wednesday (September 14). Game time is set for 4 p.m.