SCORE: Northwood 2, Tiffin 3
RECORDS: Northwood 11-3-4, 8-3-3 GLIAC, Tiffin 13-4-2, 7-7-1 GLIAC
LOCATION: Saginaw Valley Soccer Stadium, Saginaw, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood and Tiffin battle in thrilling GLIAC Semi-Final match; Tiffin advances after late goal in double overtime.
INSIDE THE GAME
- Just 12 minutes into the match the Timberwolves broke the scoreless tie when Brady Cole bent the ball around the corner and Bryan Lawson netted a beauty with the outside of his foot making it 1-0 Northwood.
- The Timberwolves withstood a couple of chances from Tiffin throughout the first half and in the closing seconds of the first half, Northwood had a chance of their own when Andrew Behring fired a shot on net but a nice save by the Tiffin keeper kept the score 1-0 in favor of the Timberwolves at the half.
- Ten minutes into the second half, the Dragons scored the equalizer making it 1-1 early in the second half.
- Tiffin broke the tie in the 65th minute when Michael Bottomley recovered a loose ball less than 10 yards out and netted the go-ahead goal for the Dragons making the score 2-1.
- In the 76th minute, and the score 2-1 in favor of Tiffin, Northwood found themselves in desperate need of the equalizer. Bryan Lawson slipped a nice ball past the Tiffin defense and right to James Vaughan who blasted a rocket past the goalie and into the back of the net to tie the game at two.
- The two teams battled back and forth for the remainder of the regulation session but to no avail as the score remained tied at two and headed for overtime.
- Neither team was able to mount much of a threat in the first overtime session, resulting in a 2-2 tie and a double overtime period.
- In double overtime, Tiffin ended the match with a goal off a loose ball in front of the net ending the match at 3-2 and sealing the win for Tiffin.
- SHOTS: Northwood 11, Tiffin 20
- SAVES: Northwood 8 (Brendan Brown) , Tiffin 4
- CORNER KICKS: Northwood 5, Tiffin 5
- Northwood is eliminated from the GLIAC tournament and will await the regional rankings to determine whether or not Northwood will play in the NCAA Tournament.
- Tiffin is the only team to defeat Northwood twice this year.
- The Timberwolves are eliminated from the GLIAC tournament and will await the regional rankings to determine if Northwood will qualify for the NCAA Tournament.