OVERVIEW: GVSU Bob Eubanks Open
EVENT: Bob Eubanks Open
LOCATION: Grand Valley State University, Allendale, Mich.
RECAP: The Northwood University track and field teams kicked off the new year by earning a third place finish overall on the women's side and a fourth place finish overall for the men's team, as well as several impressive individual performances at the Bob Eubanks Open on Friday (January 13.)
INSIDE THE MEET
- The Northwood men's team was one of 12 teams that competed at the meet consisting of 16 events scored. The Timberwolves participated in eight of the 16 events and earned a fourth place finish overall as a team.
- The event was especially memorable for a couple of Timberwolves who achieved first place finishes as well as notable performances nationally and in the Northwood record books.
- Rami Gharsalli captured first place in the 60m Hurdles with an NCAA Provisional time of 8.02, which is also the second best time nationally, and the second fastest time in Northwood program history.
- The meet was also memorable for both Colby Brundige and John King who also Joined Gharsalli with first place finishes for Northwood. Beginning with Brundige, who captured the crown in the 60 Meter Dash with a time of 6.99, followed by King who notched first place in the 400 Meter Dash with a time of 50.57
- Tyler Jensen came within a hundreth of a second of breaking the all-time school record for Northwood in the 3000 Meter Run. Jensen compiled a time of 8:40.80 to mark a personal best, in fact, an 18 second improvement from his previous best. With the performance, Jensen now sits at second in school history in the 3000 Meter Run.
- On the women's side, there was no shortage of impressive performances by the Northwood Timberwolves, who racked up enough points to claim third overall in the meet consisting of 12 teams and 16 events, 10 of which were competed in by Northwood.
- Kara Young helped the Timberwolves earn third place as a team with her third place finish in the 60 Meter Dash with a time of 7.84.
- In the high jump event, Northwood's Heaven Powell claimed third place overall with a jump of 1.63m (5-4.25)
- Also achieving a third place finish in the women's long jump for Northwood was Elaina Meadows, boasting a jump of 5.53m (18-1.75)
- Last but certainly not least, Jennifer McKenna turned in a memorable performance in the mile event with a time of 5:08.44, good enough for fourth all-time in program history, and equally impressive, a nine second improvement of her previous personal best.
The Timberwolves will compete at the GVSU open on Friday (January 20). The event is being hosted by Grand Valley State University in Allendale, Michigan. Compete