OVERVIEW: Findlay Classic
EVENT: Findlay Classic and Elite Throws
LOCATION: University of Findlay, Findlay, Ohio
RECAP: The Northwood University track and field teams compiled several outstanding performances this weekend including 4 individual champions as the men's and women's teams competed at the Findlay Classic on Saturday (January 28.)
INSIDE THE MEET
- Despite no team scoring in the event, the Northwood Timberwolves were well represented on various podiums when the dust settled and the results were in at the Findlay Classic, a meet featuring 12 total teams on the men's side and 12 on the women's side.
- Rami Gharsalli continued the incredibly impressive start to his Northwood career with another first place finish, earning the honors in the 60 meter Hurdles with a NCAA Provisional time of 7.90. Gharsalli's time currently stands at #3 nationally and marks a new personal best.
- Northwood's Heaven Powell captured the first place crown in the Women's High Jump event in dramatic fashion by winning a jump-off and registering a NCAA Provisional mark of 5-6'. The NCAA Provisional mark is a new personal best for Powell, and the 18th best mark nationally.
- Another notable performance for the Timberwolves came in the Women's Long Jump as Elaina Meadows seized the top mark at the meet and secured first place with a jump of 5.52m. Meadows continues to be a standout in this event for the Timberwolves.
- Northwood wasn't done with the first place finishes as Kara Young snatched a top finish and first place mark in the 60 Meter Dash by recording a time of 7.79.
- The Timberwolves also received plenty of other noteworthy performances at the event including Jennifer Mckenna's 2nd place finish in the 600m with a time of 1:39.26.
- With just 30 minutes of rest from her previous event, Mckenna was right back at it this time in the 1000m where she turned in another 2nd place performance with a time of 3:03.21. Mckenna continues to re-write the Northwood record books as her time of 1:39.26 in the 600m ranks second in school history, and her 1000m time of 3:03.21 sets a new Northwood University record, breaking the previous record by 16 seconds.
- Claiming a new personal best for Northwood in the Weight Throw with an NCAA Provisional mark of 16.89m was Carly D'Almedia who also improved upon her previous NCAA Provisional mark she had set earlier this season.
- Along those same lines of new personal bests, it was Madison Arnouts turning in a new personal record in the 60 Meter Hurdles with a career best time of 9.31.
- Lastly, to cap off another big day for Northwood, both Grant Harris and Caleb Barker broke the Northwood program record in the men's 1000m. Harris finished the event with a time of 2:35.96, an impressive 7.5 seconds faster than the previous record. Right behind him, and now second in school history was Caleb Barker's time of 2:42.92.
"It is our responsibility to get better. Each week we have more athletes hitting NCAA provisional marks, setting school records, qualifying for finals, and hitting new personal bests. It's evident that the Timberwolves are hungry for improvement and I like the progress we are making."
The Timberwolves will compete at the SVSU - NU Dual Meet at Saginaw Valley State University on Saturday. (February 4).