OVERVIEW: NCAA OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD CHAMPIONSHIPS
EVENT: 2018 NCAA Division II Outdoor Track & Field Championships - Hosted by Johnson C. Smith
LOCATION: Irwin Belk Complex – Charlotte, N.C.
INSIDE THE MEET
EVANS COMPETES IN THE DISCUS THROW, CLOSES OUT NU CAREER
- Senior Paul Evans finishing 19th in the discus throw with a mark of 46.97 meters (153 feet-11 inches). This was a one place improvement on his seed coming in, as he was the 20th seed entering the national meet.
- Today's competition marked the final meet of Evans's collegiate career.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Three-time NCAA All-American and the first athlete in NU history in the weight and hammer
- All-America First-Team - Weight Throw (6th – 2018)
- All-America Second-Team - Hammer Throw (12th – 2018)
- All-America Second Team - Weight Throw (12th - 2017)
- Four-time NCAA Track & Field Championships qualifier
- Indoors - 2017, 2018
- Outdoors - 2017, 2018
- Six-time NCAA participant
- Two-time qualifier in the weight, hammer, and discus throws
- Three-time school record holder
- Men's Weight Throw: 20.11 meters (65 feet-11.5 inches)
- Men's Hammer Throw: 62.45 meters (204 feet-10.5 inches)
- Men's Discus Throw: 55.15 meters (180 feet-11.25 inches)
PHILLIPS DEBUTS IN THE 200 METERS
- On the track, freshman Mason Phillips competed in the 200 meter dash prelims and registered a time of 21.25 seconds to finish 13th overall at the NCAA Championships to improve three spots from his 16th seed entering the meet. His time also marks the third fastest time he has run during his young collegiate career.
- His collegiate best time in the 200 meters will be 21.02 at the end of his freshman year and owns the second fastest time in Northwood school history.
GHARSALLI COMPETES IN 110 METER HURDLES
- Junior Rami Gharsalli competed in the 110 meter hurdles prelims, registering a time of 14.57 seconds to finish 15th overall.
- This is Gharsalli's second consecutive appearance at the NCAA Outdoor Championships in the 110 meter hurdles, placing fourth at last year's national meet.
The 2018 NCAA Division II Outdoor Track & Field Championships will conclude with the final day of competition Saturday (May 26).
REMAINING NCAA SCHEDULE FOR NORTHWOOD
Saturday, May 26
3:25 PM – Men's 4x100 Relay (Finals) – Gharsalli, Bent, Hamlet, Phillips