OVERVIEW – FINDLAY
SCORES: Findlay Oilers 6, Northwood Timberwolves 5 (8 Innings)/Northwood 8, Findlay 1
RECORDS: Northwood 17-23 (8-10 GLIAC), Findlay 19-20 (9-9 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Findlay, Ohio – Anderson Field
RECAP: Northwood split two games at Findlay Saturday afternoon (April 22), dropping a tough 6-5 contest in the opener in eight innings before NU picked up an 8-1 victory in game two.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood got off to a fast start in the top of the first inning of game one thanks to a Torriya Gray-Baker two-run double that plated Sydni Pauley and Hayley D'Avilar.
- Findlay responded with a run in the bottom of the inning to make the score 2-1 after one.
- The score remained 2-1 until the fifth inning when Northwood extended their lead. NU had two outs and nobody on when they put together a rally, which was capped by a Riley Ostapowicz two-run single that scored D'Avilar and Andria Gietl. That put Northwood on top 4-1 after five innings.
- The biggest part of the game came in the bottom of the sixth. Northwood had two outs in the inning with the bases loaded when the Oilers plated three on a double to tie the game 4-4.
- Northwood responded right away in the top of the seventh inning, going back on top 5-4 on an RBI single by Gietl that scored Danielle Bartodziej.
- Findlay came right back in the bottom of the inning, scoring a single run in the seventh to send the game to extra innings tied 5-5.
- After Northwood was held scoreless in the top of the eighth, Findlay scored the game-winning run on a one-out single to win 6-5.
GAME 1 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 5/7/3, Findlay: 6/5/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 5, Findlay: 4
- Winning Pitcher: Hailey Bryan (11-9) IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Vanessa Ewing (9-14) 7 1/3 IP, 6 R (2 ER), 5 H, 5 K, 4 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Gietl: 2-4, R, RBI
- Gray-Baker: 2B, 2 RBI
- Ostapowicz: 2 RBI
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- After the tough loss in game one, Northwood got on the board first in game two in the bottom of the first inning. Ostapowicz put the Timberwolves on the board with an RBI single to score Gietl.
- The Timberwolves extended their lead in the bottom second inning with three runs. Bartodziej had an RBI single to score Karli Godlewski. An error by the Oilers scored Abby Joseph on the same play. Later in the inning, Bartodziej scored on an RBI single by Meghan Franz to make the score 4-1.
- After Findlay scored a run in the top of fourth inning, the Timberwolves responded with a run in the bottom of the frame thanks to a Hayley D'Avilar triple that scored Gietl.
- Northwood expanded their lead in the sixth with three more runs. Gray-Baker had an RBI single to score Gietl to put the Timberwolves up 6-1. Joseph then made it 8-1 on a two-run double that scored Gray-Baker and Ostapowicz.
- Junior Makenzie Norton threw her best game at Northwood in the circle, allowing one run on five hits to pick up the victory.
GAME 2 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood 8/14/0, Findlay 1/5/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood 8, Findlay 4
- Winning Pitcher: Makenzie Norton (2-6) 7 IP, R, 5 H, 2 K, BB
- Losing Pitcher: Hailey Bryan (11-10) 3 1/3 IP, 5 R, 10 H, K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Gietl: 3-3, 2B, 3 R
- D'Avilar: 2-3, 3B, RBI
- Joseph: 2-4, 2 2B, 2 RBI, R
- Gray-Baker: 2-4, RBI, R
- Bartodziej: 2-3, R, RBI
- The Timberwolves travel to Tiffin Sunday (April 23). The doubleheader will begin at Noon.