OVERVIEW – NO. 22 MICHIGAN STATE (EXHIBITION)
SCORE: No. 22 Michigan State 82, Northwood 47
RECORDS: Northwood (0-0), Michigan State (0-0)
LOCATION: Breslin Center – East Lansing, Mich..
RECAP: Northwood opened their 2016-17 season with an 82-47 loss to No. 22 Michigan State Sunday afternoon (November 6).
INSIDE THE GAME – FIRST QUARTER
- Northwood got off to a fast start in the game, making their first four field goals en route to a 9-0 lead. But that is when MSU got hot from beyond the 3-point line, knocking down four straight 3-pointers. The Spartans eventually took a 16-15 lead after one quarter. NU shot 53.8 percent from the floor (7-13) but 0-3 from 3-point range. MSU shot 35.7 percent overall (5-14) but 80.0 percent from 3-point range (4-5)
- Michigan State's offense and defense picked up in the second 10 minutes, as the Spartans shot 58.3 percent from the floor (7-12) and held Northwood to 13.3 percent (2-15). Northwood continued to struggle from beyond the arc in the second quarter, going 1-7. MSU ended up taking a 36-22 lead to the break. The Spartans ended the half 6-9 from beyond the arc (66.7 percent) compared to NU at 1-10 (10.0 percent).
- Michigan State got the lead up to 42-22 over Northwood, but the Timberwolves fought back to get within 12 at 44-32 thanks to a 10-2 run. MSU finished the quarter strong, however, eventually opening up a 62-40 lead heading to the fourth. Northwood shot 46.2 percent (6-13) while MSU connected on 62.5 percent (10-16) from the floor in the quarter.
- MSU's size began to wear down the Timberwolves in the fourth quarter. The Spartans, who feature six players above 6-1 and nine players above 6-0, out-scored Northwood 20-7 in the final quarter to close out the win.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northwood .327 (17-52), Michigan State .492 (29-59)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE : Northwood .167 (3-18), Michigan State .571 (8-14)
- Free Throw Percentage: Northwood .714 (10-14), Michigan State .571 (16-28)
- REBOUNDS: Northwood 30 (eight offensive), Michigan State 41 (11 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northwood 8/23, Michigan State 22/14
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Linsday Orwat: 17 points, five rebounds
- Jordyn Nurenberg: 10 points, seven rebounds, three steals
- Delaney Kenny: 10 points, five rebounds
- This was the first time in program history Northwood has played Michigan State in women's basketball.
- The Timberwolves will open the 2016-17 season by hosting the GLIAC/GLVC Challenge Saturday (November 12) against Saint Joseph's. Game time is set for 1:30 p.m.