OVERVIEW – MICHIGAN TECH
SCORE: Michigan Tech 72, Northwood Timberwolves 62
RECORDS: Northwood (8-7, 5-5 GLIAC), Michigan Tech (11-4, 7-3 GLIAC)
LOCATION: SDC Gymnasium – Houghton, Mich.
RECAP: Michigan Tech uses a huge fourth quarter to post a 72-62 win over Northwood Thursday night (January 19).
- Northwood scored the first five points of the game in the evenly-played opening quarter.
- That five-point advantage proved to be the largest of the opening quarter.
- Michigan Tech eventually led 17-15 after one
- NU shot 46.2 percent in the frame (6-13), while Michigan Tech finished at 36.8 percent (7-19).
- MTU did connect on all three of their 3-point attempts in the quarter.
- Michigan Tech came out fast in the second quarter, scoring the first nine points to take a 28-17 lead.
- Northwood fought back to cut the Huskies lead down to 32-25 at the break.
- The Timberwolves struggles offensively in the second, going 4-14 from the floor (28.6 percent) and 2-6 from the foul line (33.3 percent).
- Michigan Tech went 6-14 from the floor (42.9 percent) and 3-3 from the foul line.
- Northwood put together one of their best quarters of the season in the third, out-scoring the Huskies 21-13 to earn a 46-45 lead heading to the fourth quarter.
- The Timberwolves offense was efficient in the frame, connecting 9-13 from the floor (69.2 percent) and 2-4 from 3-point range (50.0 percent)
- Michigan Tech shot 41.7 percent from the floor (5-12) and 3-4 from the foul line in the third (75.0 percent).
- Michigan Tech's offense was the story of the fourth quarter, as the Huskies scored 27 points.
- The Huskies shot 70.0 percent from the floor (7-10) and 92.3 percent from the foul line (12-13).
- Northwood was solid from the floor (7-14) but were out-scored 12-2 from the foul line in the fourth.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .455 (25-55), Northwood .481 (26-54)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .571 (4-7), Northwood .273 (3-11)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .900 (18-20), Northwood .583 (7-12)
- REBOUNDS: Michigan Tech 30 (six offensive), Northwood 30 (six offensive),
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Michigan Tech 11/8, Northwood 12/11
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Jordyn Nurenberg: 31 points, 14-16 from the floor, six rebounds
- Hannah Orwat: Career-high 13 points, six rebounds, five assists
- Michigan Tech has gone 88-10 at home since the 2009-10 season (.898).
- Nurenberg finished one field goal short of the Northwood school record of 15 by Lisa Cote, which she set November 23, 1996.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Northern Michigan Saturday (January 21) for a 11 a.m. tip.