OVERVIEW – LAKE SUPERIOR STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 90, Lake Superior State Lakers 55
RECORDS: Northwood (16-10, 13-8 GLIAC), Lake Superior State (5-23, 3-18 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood dominates play in 90-55 win over Lake Superior State Thursday night (February 23) to finish the regular season.
- Northwood got the first basket of the game just over two minutes into the game and would not trail the rest of the way.
- NU eventually took a 21-11 lead after the opening quarter.
- Northwood shot 53.8 percent from the field (7-13), making 33.3 percent of their three-point attempts (1-3).
- Lake Superior State made good on 44.4 percent of their overall shots (4-9), missing on one attempt from three-point range.
- Northwood came out firing to begin the period, going on an 11-2 run just over three minutes into the quarter.
- The Timberwolves ended up leading 48-24 at the break.
- Lake Superior State drained 41.7 percent of their overall attempts (5-12) in the quarter but did knock down all three of their 3-pointers in the quarter.
- The Timberwolves had a big offensive quarter, going 56.3 percent from the field (9-16) and making 54.5 percent behind the arc (6-11).
- The Timberwolves continued to pour it on to begin the third rattling off a 14-5 run five minutes in to go up by 33.
- The lead would extend to 34 – NU led 70-36 heading to the fourth quarter.
- Northwood continued to improve their shooting each quarter, knocking down 57.1 percent of their shots (8-14) in the third.
- Lake Superior State finished the third qat 38.5 percent of their attempts (5-13), including 20 percent from three-point range (1-5).
- Northwood's lead never fell below 30 in the final quarter.
- The Lakers had their best shooting quarter of the night sinking 50 percent of their shots (6-12), making 20 percent of their three-point attempts (1-5).
- Even with regulars out of the game, the Timberwolves didn't let their foot off the gas pedal, again making 57.1 percent of their shots (8-14), including 50 percent from behind the arc (4-8).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .435 (20-46), Northwood .561 (32-57)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .357 (5-14), Northwood .464 (13-28)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .588 (10-17), Northwood .867 (13-15)
- REBOUNDS: Lake Superior State 24 (four offensive), Northwood 32 (six offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 8/17, Northwood 24/7
- The Timberwolves dominated every point battle, outscoring the Lakers in the paint (38-28), off of turnovers (23-2), off the fast break (14-0) and off the bench (55-7).
- Northwood now has touched 80 points for the third time this season, setting a season-high at 90.
- This is the tenth straight victory for the Timberwolves over the Lakers, with the last loss coming on January 12th, 2013 at home (58-53).
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Jordyn Nurenberg: 20 points, (6-9 on shot attempts) eight rebounds, one block, two steals
- Lindsay Orwat: 16 points (4-5 on three-pointers), two rebounds, three assists, one steal
- Maddy Seeley: 15 points (3-5 on three-pointers)
- Sami Stormont: 10 points (2-5 on three-pointers)
- The Timberwolves will travel to Grand Valley State for the start of the GLIAC Tournament in a Quarterfinal matchup against the Lakers. Game time is TBD.