OVERVIEW – GRAND VALLEY STATE – GLIAC TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINALS
SCORE: Grand Valley State Lakers 68, Northwood Timberwolves 55
RECORDS: Northwood (16-11), Grand Valley State (22-6)
LOCATION: GVSU Fieldhouse Arena – Allendale, Mich.
RECAP: Third-seeded Grand Valley State ended No. 6 seed Northwood's season with a 68-55 victory in the GLIAC Tournament Quarterfinals Tuesday night (February 28).
- Northwood scored the first five points of the game, which proved to be the largest lead of the opening quarter.
- The teams led for nearly the same amount of time in the opening quarter – NU led for 3:50 while GVSU led for 3:39. The game was tied for 2:31.
- The Lakers eventually took a 15-11 lead after the opening quarter.
- Northwood finished the quarter at 41.7 percent (5-12) compared to GVSU at 40.0 percent (6-15). The Lakers made two more 3-pointers to earn the lead.
- Both teams made runs in the second quarter – GVSU got the early spurt in the quarter, opening up a 28-18 lead with 5:33 remaining in the half.
- The Timberwolves responded, however, scoring 12 of the next 16 points to make the score 32-30 with less than two minutes to go.
- GVSU then scored the final five points of the half to take a 37-30 lead at the break.
- GVSU scored the first five points of the third quarter to go up 42-30.
- The Timberwolves got the lead down to six at 46-40, but the Lakers scored 10 of the final 11 points of the quarter to go up 56-41 heading to the fourth.
- Northwood struggled from the floor in the third, making just 2-12 of their field goal attempts (16.7 percent).
- Grand Valley State was strong once against offensively in the third, going 5-9 from the floor (55.6 percent) 2-2 from 3-point range and 7-8 from the foul line (87.5 percent).
- Grand Valley State maintained control in the fourth quarter, leading by as many as 19.
- The final margin of 13 was as close as the Timberwolves got in the fourth.
- Northwood finished the fourth quarter at 40 percent (6-15) while the Lakers shot 28.6 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .479 (23-48), Northwood .353 (18-51)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .500 (7-14), Northwood .200 (2-5)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .789 (15-19), Northwood .762 (16-21)
- REBOUNDS: Grand Valley State 33 (seven offensive), Northwood 28 (nine offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Grand Valley State 15/13, Northwood 6/12
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Jordyn Nurenberg: 32 points, 13 rebounds, 11-17 from the floor, 10-12 from the foul line
- Maddy Seeley: 10 points
- Nurenberg's big game pushed her up to fifth in school history in points (1,419) and second in rebounds (801) in Northwood history.
- There was a brief power outage late in the third quarter of the game that delayed the contests for a few minutes.
- Nurenberg joined fellow seniors Delaney Kenny, Emily Kutch and Sami Stormont in playing their final career games.