OVERVIEW – NORTHERN MICHIGAN
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 64, Northern Michigan Wildcats 56
RECORDS: Northwood (4-2, 1-0 GLIAC) Northern Michigan (4-4, 0-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Berry Event Center – Marquette, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood uses a dominant third quarter to earn a 64-56 road win over Northern Michigan Thursday night (November 30).
- Northern Michigan led 10-8 at the first media timeout of the quarter when the Wildcats finished strong.
- NMU scored nine of the final 12 points of the quarter to go up 19-11 after one.
- Northwood went 4-14 from the floor in the quarter (28.6 percent), while Northern Michigan shot 9-14 (64.3 percent).
- The Wildcats got the lead up to 14 on two separate occasions in the second quarter.
- Northwood chipped away at the lead the remainder of the half, eventually trailing 31-22 at the break.
- NU has the same shooting numbers in the second quarter as they did the first, going 4-14 from the floor (28.6 percent.
- Northern Michigan cooled off in the second, shooting the same percentage as the Timberwolves in the second (4-14 – 28.6 percent)
- The third quarter proved to be the difference in the game, as the Timberwolves dominated the frame.
- Northwood scored 15 of the first 19 points of the second half to take their first lead of the game at 37-35.
- NU matched their biggest lead to that point in the game by going up 44-37 heading to the fourth.
- The Timberwolves, which out-scored the Wildcats 22-6 in the quarter, ended up shooting 53.3 percent from the floor (8-15) and 50.0 percent from 3-point range.
- NMU struggled in the third, going 3-11 overall (27.3 percent) and 0-1 from 3-point range.
- Northern Michigan hung around in the fourth quarter, but got no closer than four in the final 10 minutes.
- The Wildcats were within five points with less than two minutes to go, but a Grace German layup extended the advantage to seven at 59-52.
- Both teams shot it well from the floor in the fourth quarter – NU finished 6-9 from the floor (66.7 percent) while NMU shot 64.3 percent (9-14). Northwood made three 3-pointers to one for Northern Michigan.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .472 (25-53), Northwood .423 (22-52)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .300 (3-10), Northwood .400 (10-25)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .750 (3-4), Northwood .588 (10-17)
- REBOUNDS: Northern Michigan 29 (Eight offensive), Northwood 32 (11 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 8/12, Northwood 15/9
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Northern Michigan 42, Northwood 16
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 11, Northwood 15
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Grace German: 17 points (career-high), 11 rebounds (first career double-double), 8-9 from the floor, 1-1 from the foul line
- Taylor Craymer: 15 points (career-high), 5-8 from the floor, 5-7 from 3-point range
- Lindsay Orwat: 12 points, five assists
- After Northern Michigan had posted six straight wins against Northwood, the Timberwolves have now won four of the last five meetings against NMU.
- Northwood has now won four straight games after dropping their opening two contests of the season.
- The Timberwolves will play at Michigan Tech Saturday (November 30). Game time is set for 1 p.m.