SCORE: Detroit 4, Northwood 3
RECORDS: Detroit 2-4, Northwood 2-1
LOCATION: Titan Field – Detroit, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood's offense has an opportunistic day but the Timberwolves fall at Division I Detroit 4-3.
INSIDE THE GAME
- Less than three minutes into the game, Northwood struck first on a goal by Allison Carroll (Grand Blanc, Mich.) after Karina Parker (Oxford, Mich.) forced a turnover deep in the Detroit end and fed Carroll for the opening tally.
- Detroit leveled the score in the 13th minute, which proved be the final goal of the opening half
- UDM got goals at 54:03 and 57:43 to go up 3-1 early in the second half.
- The Timberwolves responded quickly to those goals, as Alyssa Cowper (Troy, Mich./Athens) beat the keeper to a ball and tapped it in. Jessica Kalbfleisch (Traverse City, Mich./West) picked up the assist on the goal, which came at 59:04.
- Detroit got a goal in the 71st minute to re-take a two goal lead at 4-2.
- Northwood fought back once again in the 78th minute, as Jessica Flores (San Diego, Calif./Verdugo Hills) took a feed from Parker and scored a beauty from just outside the area to get NU back within one with just under 12 minutes remaining.
- Flores' goal proved to be the final score of the contest
- SHOTS: Detroit 23, Northwood 3
- SAVES: Detroit 0, Northwood 9 (Sam Cook)
- CORNER KICKS: Detroit 14, Northwood 0
- Northwood scored goals on all three official shot attempts they had in the game.
- Cowper's goal was the first for the junior in her career.
- Carroll had two goals all of last season. She has four in her first three games this season.
- The Timberwolves host Saginaw Valley State Sunday (September 11). Match time is set for 1 p.m.