SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 6, Wayne State Warriors 3
RECORDS: Northwood (6-0, 6-0 GLIAC), Wayne State (4-2, 3-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Midland, Mich. – Gerstacker Courts
RECAP: Northwood wins matchup of undefeated teams, downing Wayne State 6-3 to keep the Timberwolves in first place in the GLIAC Tuesday afternoon (October 10).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- Wayne State was the better team in doubles, winning at the No. 2 and No. 3 slots. Northwood earned an 8-3 victory at the No. 1 position to make the score 2-1 heading into singles.
- The singles matches were competitive, but Northwood proved to be better team.
- The Timberwolves got three quick wins in singles, taking straight-set matches at No. 2, No. 5 and No. 6 singles by Tetyana Pavych, Kate Berestovenko and Elizaveta Velichko, respectively. That put to get within one point of the win at 4-2.
- It was junior Carol Arnez-Mercado who closed out the victory, posting a 6-0, 3-6, 6-3 win at the No. 3 position to give NU their fifth point.
- Olesia Riabchuk then gave Northwood their sixth point of the day with a hard-fought 7-6, 7-6 win at the No. 1 slot.
- WSU claimed the final point of the day in a super tiebreaker at No. 4 singles.
- Pavych, Arnez-Mercado: 2-0 on the day
- The Timberwolves will travel to third-place Saginaw Valley (6-1 GLIAC) Saturday (October 14). Match time is set for 11 a.m.