OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORE: Wayne State 3, Northwood 0, (25-10, 25-22, 25-21)
RECORDS: Northwood (9-7, 3-5 GLIAC), Wayne State (15-2, 8-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Timberwolves spirited fight in last two sets not enough in straight set loss to South Division leader Wayne State Saturday afternoon (October 8).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- The first set featured two lead changes and four ties in the first 12 scores as Northwood and Wayne State split at 6-6. However, the Warriors would win 19 of the next 23 points to take the first set 25-10.
- Set two saw Northwood jump out to a 6-2 lead after a few errors by the Warriors. Deeper into the set, they held their largest lead of any game at 11-6. However, with the next five points, the game was tied yet again at 11. The two teams would engage in three more ties before Wayne State built a 19-15 cushion that led them to an eventual 25-22 set victory.
- The third set would be close until another WSU run. The Timberwolves did come out on top in the early stages with an 8-5 lead, but the Warriors stormed back again to bring the game to an 11-11 tie. After two straight Northwood strikes, Wayne State would score 13 of the next 17 points bringing themselves a score away from the victory. Northwood would tally four straight scores to keep the game alive before eventually falling 25-21.
- HITTING: Wayne State .239 (43-17-109), Northwood .076 (32-23-119)
- DIGS: Wayne State 57, Northwood 41 (Hailey Jones – 11)
- BLOCKS: Northwood 7 (Sydney Greulich/Karlie Wengorovius – 3), Wayne State 5
- ACES: Wayne State 2, Northwood 0
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Allison Getty: 12 kills, seven digs
- Carson Rutherford: seven kills, two blocks, two digs
- Hailey Jones: 29 assists, 11 digs
- Brenna Murphy: 10 digs
- Getty with 12 more kills ranks fifth in the GLIAC in kills per set (3.41).
• Northwood will be making a stop at the GLIAC/GLVC Challenge next weekend (Oct. 14-15). Their next regular season contest will see them travel to Ashland next Friday evening (October 21). First serve is set for 7 p.m.