OVERVIEW – PARKSIDE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 55, Parkside Rangers 52
RECORDS: Northwood (7-5, 2-2 GLIAC), Parkside (6-6, 2-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood men's basketball earns hard-fought 55-52 win over Parkside Thursday night (January 2).
- The half featured big runs for both teams, starting with Northwood, who scored the opening nine points of the game in the first three minutes.
- The Rangers responded with eight straight points of their own to make the score 9-8.
- The Timberwolves go the lead back to seven (15-7), only to see the Rangers scored 11 straight points to take a 18-15 lead with nine minutes remaining.
- After a WP layup gave the Rangers 23-22 lead with 5:51 remaining, both teams went on a scoring drought. The next point scored was a Northwood basket with 25 seconds remaining.
- WP ended the opening 20 minutes with a 25-24 lead.
- Parkside finished the first half shooting 34.6 percent overall (9-26) but did go 5-12 from 3-point range (41.7 percent).
- Northwood shot a higher overall percentage than Parkside (11-29 – 37.9 percent). NU struggled from beyond the arc, however, making just 2-14 attempts (14.3 percent).
- Much like the opening half, Northwood got off to a great start after the break. The Timberwolves scored 11 of the first 12 points to take what proved to be the biggest lead of the game at 35-25.
- NU led by eight with under eight minutes remaining when the Rangers made a push. Parkside posted 14 of the next 18 points to go back on top 52-50 with 2:23 remaining.
- The Timberwolves were the better team down the stretch to earn the win. NU scored the final five points of the game over the last 2:14 while holding the Rangers off the board to earn the win.
- Northwood was more efficient from the floor in the second half, shooting 48.0 percent overall (12-25).
- The Rangers had very similar numbers offensively in both halves, finishing the second half at 34.5 percent (10-29) while going 4-12 from beyond the arc (33.3 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Parkside .345 (19-55), Northwood .426 (23-54)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Parkside .375 (9-24), Northwood .174 (4-23)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Parkside .625 (5-8), Northwood .556 (5-9)
- REBOUNDS: Parkside 35 (Seven offensive), Northwood 38 (Six offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Parkside 12/11, Northwood 13/12
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Parkside 18, Northwood 28
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Parkside 11, Northwood 11
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Parkside 6, Northwood 6
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- David Jelinek: 19 points, six rebounds, 7-9 from the floor, 4-4 from the foul line
- Jack Ammerman: 10 points
- The Timberwolves will travel to Purdue Northwest Saturday (January 4). Game time is set for 4 p.m.