OVERVIEW – MICHIGAN TECH
SCORE: Michigan Tech Huskies 62, Northwood Timberwolves 49
RECORDS: Northwood (2-1, 2-1 GLIAC), Michigan Tech (2-1, 2-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood men's basketball falls in its home opener to Michigan Tech 62-49 Friday night (January 15).
- Northwood was the better team early on, leading 18-12 at the midway point of the first half.
- The NU lead was 26-22 with less than five minutes remaining when Michigan Tech went on a key run.
- The Huskies scored the final eight points of the half to take a 30-26 lead to the locker room.
- MTU finished the opening half at 46.4 percent overall (13-28) while going 2-6 from 3-point range (33.3 percent).
- NU ended the opening 20 minutes at 36.7 percent overall (11-30) and 3-9 from beyond the arc (33.3 percent).
- Michigan Tech kept the run going into the second half, scoring the first nine points after the break to finish off a 17-0 stretch over the span of seven minutes to go up 39-26.
- Northwood battled but got no closer than nine the remainder of the game.
- MTU led by as many as 17 before winning by 13.
- The Huskies efficient offense in the second half was the key, as MTU was 12-20 overall (60.0 percent) and 2-4 from 3-point range (50.0 percent). Michigan Tech also went 6-10 from the foul line (60.0 percent).
- Northwood end the half at 39.1 percent overall (9-23) but was just 1-8 from 3-point range (12.5 percent). Northwood did go 4-5 from the foul line (80.0 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .521 (25-48), Northwood .377 (20-53)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .400 (4-10), Northwood .235 (4-17)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .571 (8-14), Northwood .625 (5-8)
- REBOUNDS: Michigan Tech 33 (Six offensive), Northwood 30 (Nine offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Michigan Tech 14/14, Northwood 8/16
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Michigan Tech 36, Northwood 28
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Michigan Tech 15, Northwood 6
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Michigan Tech 4, Northwood 8
- BENCH POINTS: Michigan Tech 4, Northwood 17
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Jean Pierre Frederick: 11 points, 4-5 from the floor, 3-4 from the foul line, four rebounds
- Jack Ammerman: 10 points
- Richard Nunez: Eight points, six rebounds
- The Timberwolves will finish their weekend series against Michigan Tech Saturday (January 16). Game time is set for 3 p.m.