OVERVIEW - NORTHERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY
SCORE: Northern Michigan Wildcats 1, Northwood Timberwolves 2
RECORDS: Northern Michigan (6-5-5. 3-4-5 GLIAC), Northwood (7-8-1, 5-6-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Dean Field - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood takes down Northern Michigan 2-1 in Season Finale (October 26).
INSIDE THE GAME
- The Timberwolves struck first in the 28th minute thanks to some precision passing. In stride at midfield, Jack Doyle sent a through ball to Lirim Shefkiu who sprinted to his right inside the area. The Northwood midfielder one-touched a pass across the box to Austin Hobbes, who buried a strike into the open net to make it 1-0 Northwood.
- Seven minutes into the second half, Northern Michigan had the equalizer. Awarded a free kick at the top of the box, the Wildcat defender snuck into the area right in front of the net. He was able to get his leg on the strike in stride and deflect it past keeper Corbin Cecchini to tie the match at one.
- NU capitalized on a free kick of their own later in the second. Teddy Stacey took the spot kick, putting a good ball into the area. Josh Wates timed his leap perfectly at the net front, heading the strike into the back of the net to vault the Timberwolves in front at 2-1 in the 65th minute.
- SHOTS: Northern Michigan 12, Northwood 15
- SAVES: Northern Michigan 3, Northwood 5
- CORNER KICKS: Northern Michigan 3, Northwood 3
- FOULS: Northern Michigan 15, Northwood 14
- Northwood has won the past five matchups dating back to 2016.
- Of the three goals Josh Wates has scored in his Northwood career, two have been game-winners.
- The Timberwolves will either host Northern Michigan, or travel to Ashland on Tuesday (Oct. 30) in the first round of the GLIAC Men's Soccer Tournament. Game time is TBA.