OVERVIEW – GLIAC INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS
LOCATION: University Center, Mich. – Saginaw Valley State University
RECAP: Northwood Track & Field competed at the GLIAC Championships Saturday and Sunday (February 27), with the men tying for third overall while the women placed ninth.
INSIDE THE MEET – MEN
- Northwood ended the event with 63.5 points, tying Saginaw Valley for third place overall. It is the third straight year Northwood has placed in the top-three at the Indoor Championships.
- Grand Valley State was the winner with 249 points, followed by Ashland with 172.
- Xzavia Price picked up the title in the long jump, finishing first overall at 6.98 meters.
- Price also placed third in the 60 meter dash with a time of 6.87.
- He was one place behind Mason Phillips, who was second at 6.81. Phillips also placed third in the 200 with an NCAA Provisional time of 21.56.
- Andrew Davis also scored in the 60 at 7.19, which was good for eighth place.
- NU had two scorers in the 800. Josiah Morse was sixth with an NCAA Provisional time of 1:52.57, while Stephen Barker was eighth at 1:53.42.
- Zane Aldrich was fourth in the 5,000 meters with an NCAA Provisional time of 14.32.25. That is good for second in school history in the event.
- Aldrich also came back to score two points in the 3,000 with a time of 8:24.60. That time is a personal-best and is less than a second off the school-record in the event.
- Northwood had three individuals score in the shot put, all of whom put up NCAA Provisional marks. Zechariah Stickler was fifth overall at 16.79 meters, while Hunter Berecz (16.69 meters) and Travis Schepers (16.67 meters) were seventh and eighth, respectively.
- In the weight throw, Nathan Powers had a mark of 18.80 meters, good for sixth place. That was an NCAA Provisional and placed him 19th in Division II.
- Barker, Jeronn Body, Morse and Mike Allen made up the Distance Medley Relay team, which placed fourth overall at 10:07.35
- Allen also finished 10th in the mile with a personal-best time of 4:15.50, which is good for fourth in school history in the event.
- The final event of the weekend allowed Northwood to earn the tie for third overall, as the 4X400 relay team of Body, Phillips, Barker and Morse placed third overall at 3:18.25.
INSIDE THE MEET – WOMEN
- The young distance medley relay team of Lainey Veenkant, Molly Kitson, Raegan Lauinger and Avery Stadt earned points for Northwood in the distance medley relay with a time of 13:11.66. Veenkant is a sophomore, while the other three Northwood competitors are all freshman.
- Jessica Kursinsky and Jessica Marvin both scored for Northwood in the shot put, with Kursinsky finishing fifth at 13.86 meters and Marvin placing seventh at 13.30 meters. Kursinsky's mark was an NCAA Provisional while Marvin's was .49 of a meter away.
- Northwood will wait to find out who has qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championships, which will take place March 12-13 in Birmingham, Ala.