OVERVIEW – #12 GRAND VALLEY STATE
SCORE: Grand Valley State Lakers 87, Northwood Timberwolves 73
RECORDS: Northwood (11-14, 8-9 GLIAC), Grand Valley (23-2, 16-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood battles, but a big fourth quarter for No. 12 Grand Valley State give the Lakers an 87-73 win Saturday (February 16).
- Northwood started the game off strong with a 9-2 run five minutes into the first.
- Grand Valley responded with eight of the next 14 points, but the Timberwolves still held firm on the scoreboard with a 15-10 lead after the one quarter of play.
- NU made 36.8 percent of their shorts from the floor (7-19), including 25 percent from three-point range (1-4).
- GVSU sunk 41.7 percent of their shots from the field (5-12), missing both of their attempts from three-point range
- The Lakers pulled to within one at 25-24 halfway through the second.
- GVSU eventually moved out in front in the final minute at 33-31 before NU tied the contest going into the half tied 33-33.
- Northwood was hot in the second, shooting 70 percent from the floor (7-10). They made 50 percent of their three-point attempts (1-2).
- The Lakers also were strong offensively in the second, shooting 62.5 percent from the field (10-16) and 50.0 percent from behind the arc (3-6)
- The contest remained tight to begin the second half, as Grand Valley could only keep a two-point edge at 47-45 halfway through the stanza.
- The Timberwolves had an answer for every Laker basket down the stretch and pulled one point closer by the end of the quarter at 54-53.
- NU made 53.3 percent of their shots from the floor (8-15) while going 2-3 from beyond the arc.
- GVSU drained 57.1 of their attempts (8-14), again shooting 50 percent from three-point range (3-6).
- NU continued to hold firm and prevented Grand Valley from pulling away, trailing again by just one point at 68-67 with five minutes to play.
- The Lakers soon wore down the Timberwolves and clinched the contest, rattling off a 19-6 run over the final 4:48 of the game to earn the win.
- Northwood finished with a 50 percent performance from the floor (8-16), including a 25 percent mark from behind the arc (1-4).
- Grand Valley ended the game red-hot, shooting 76.5 percent from the floor (13-17). They shot 50 percent on their three-point attempts for the straight quarter (3-6).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .610 (36-59), Northwood .500 (30-60)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .450 (9-20), Northwood .385 (5-13)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .600 (6-10), Northwood .667 (8-12)
- REBOUNDS: Grand Valley State 23 (Five offensive), Northwood 33 (13 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Grand Valley State 12/10, Northwood 12/14
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Grace German: 25 points (career-high), 12 rebounds, (eight offensive), third double-double in last four games
- Hunter Viitala: 12 points
- Adrianna Stolicker: 11 points
- The Timberwolves will host No. 11 Ashland Thursday for a matchup against the Eagles (February 21). Tip-off is set for 6:00 p.m.