OVERVIEW – LAKE SUPERIOR STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 58, Lake Superior State Lakers 45
RECORDS: Northwood (7-15, 5-9 GLIAC), Lake Superior State (6-14, 2-11 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Cooper Gymnasium – Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood women's basketball rides red-hot first half shooting to earn their third-straight win, defeating Lake Superior State 58-45 Thursday night (February 6).
- Northwood scored the first points of the game on a 3-pointer to set the tone.
- LSSU briefly took a 13-12 lead before the Timberwolves scored the final five points of the quarter to lead 17-13 after one.
- Both teams shot it well in the quarter – Northwood went 6-12 overall (50.0 percent) while making 5-8 from beyond the arc (62.5 percent).
- The Lakers finished the first at 46.2 percent overall (6-13) and 1-2 from 3-point range (50.0 percent).
- The Timberwolves used the 3-point shot to take control of the contest in the second quarter.
- NU's hot shooting got the lead to double figures at the 6:50 mark and eventually took their biggest lead of the half at the break at 36-22.
- Northwood's hot shooting continued in the second, as the Timberwolves went 7-11 overall (63.6 percent) and a perfect 5-5 from 3-point range.
- LSSU ended the second at 4-9 overall (44.4 percent) and 1-2 from the 3-point line.
- Northwood's offense fell back in the third quarter, but their defense allowed the Timberwolves to extend their lead.
- LSSU cut the lead to 10 early in the quarter (38-28), but scored only two points in the final 6:30 of the quarter.
- The Timberwolves eventually took a 45-30 lead heading to the fourth.
- Northwood struggled from the floor in the third, making 3-14 overall (21.4 percent) while going 0-5 from 3-point range.
- Lake Superior State went 3-8 from the floor (37.5 percent) and missed both of its 3-point attempts.
- While the Lakers hung around for the entire fourth quarter, the Timberwolves maintained at least an 11 point advantage over the final 10 minutes.
- LSSU picked up their shooting in the fourth, finishing at 40.0 percent (6-15) while missing all four of its 3-point attempts.
- Northwood was 5-16 from the floor (31.3 percent) while missing both of its 3-point attempt.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .422 (19-45), Northwood .396 (21-53)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .200 (2-10), Northwood .500 (10-20)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .556 (5-9), Northwood .545 (5-9)
- REBOUNDS: Lake Superior State 27 (Five offensive), Northwood 28 (Seven offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 8/16, Northwood 14/8
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Lake Superior State 32, Northwood 18
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 8, Northwood 16
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Lake Superior State 8, Northwood 4
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Lake Superior State 0, Northwood 8
- BENCH POINTS: Lake Superior State 13, Northwood 25
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Ellie Taylor: 14 points, 5-10 from the floor, 4-6 from 3-point range
- Jayla Strickland: 12 points, 6-9 from the floor
- Makenzie Todd: 10 points
- The Timberwolves will travel to Ferris State Saturday (February 8). Game time is set for 3 p.m.