OVERVIEW – NORTHERN MICHIGAN
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 69, Northern Michigan Wildcats 60
RECORDS: Northwood (7-3, 7-3 GLIAC), Northern Michigan (6-4, 6-4 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Midland, Mich. – Riepma Arena
RECAP: Women's Basketball finishes strong to close out tough 69-60 win over Northern Michigan Friday night (February 5).
- Northern Michigan scored the first two points of the night and would not trail in the opening 10 minutes.
- The quarter was evenly played – NMU's largest lead was five points.
- The Wildcats ended the first leading 15-13.
- Northwood struggled from the floor in the opening quarter, making 5-17 overall (29.4 percent) and both of their 3-point attempts.
- Northern Michigan ended the quarter at 46.7 percent overall (7-15) while making 1-4 from beyond the 3-point line.
- NMU earned their biggest lead of the game early in the second, going up 21-15.
- The Timberwolves finished the quarter strong, scoring 15 of the final 22 points to take a 34-31 lead at halftime.
- NU's field goal percentage jumped up to 56.3 percent overall (9-16) and 60.0 percent from beyond the arc (3-5).
- The Wildcats ended the second at 50.0 percent both overall (6-12) and from the 3-point line (4-8).
- Things remained close throughout the third quarter – both teams had four point leads for the biggest margin.
- A 6-0 push by Northwood gave NU the lead back at 45-41 before settling for a 49-47 advantage heading to the fourth.
- The Timberwolves were 7-19 from the floor in the third quarter (36.8 percent) while missing all four of their 3-point attempts.
- Northern Michigan went 6-13 overall (46.2 percent) while making 2-5 from beyond the arc.
- The 14th tie of the game came at 60-60 with less than two minutes remaining.
- Freshman Alana Nelson stepped up with 1:45 remaining, knocking down a 3-pointer as the clock was winding down to put the Timberwolves on top for good.
- That triple started a 9-0 run for Northwood to close out the win.
- The nine point margin at the end of the night was the biggest for either team.
- Northwood was 6-13 overall in the fourth (46.2 percent). Nelson's 3-point field goal was the Timberwolves only attempt of the quarter. NU stepped up at the foul line, going 7-8 (87.5 percent).
- NMU fell back to 30.8 percent overall (4-13) in the final quarter while making 1-5 from 3-point range. The Wildcats did make all four of their free throw attempts.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .434 (23-53), Northwood .415 (27-65)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .364 (8-22), Northwood .333 (4-12)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .750 (6-8), Northwood .688 (11-16)
- REBOUNDS: Northern Michigan 38 (Seven offensive), Northwood 35 (11 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 17/18, 8/5
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Northern Michigan 22, Northwood 44
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 0, Northwood 24
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Northern Michigan 4, Northwood 9
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Northern Michigan 3, Northwood 5
- BENCH POINTS: Northern Michigan 19, Northwood 32
- TIES/LEAD CHANGES: 14/7
- Northwood entered the game ranked No. 2 in all of Division II in turnovers per game (10.8). NU had just five turnovers tonight, compared to NMU with 18. That allowed Northwood to hold a 24-0 in points off turnovers in the game.
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Makenzie Todd: 14 points, 5-10 from the floor, 2-3 from 3-point range
- Alli Keyser: 11 points, 4-6 from the floor
- Jayla Strickland: 10 points, nine rebounds (six offensive)
- The Timberwolves will finish the weekend series against the Wildcats Saturday (February 6). Game time is set for 3 p.m.