OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 5, Wayne State Warriors 3
RECORDS: Northwood 30-13, 17-7 GLIAC/Wayne State 24-18, 12-11 GLIAC
LOCATION: Gerace Stadium – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood won the final home game of the season against Wayne State Sunday on Senior Day (April 29), earning a 5-3 victory behind Max Bain's strong eight-inning performance.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood drew first blood in the bottom of the first. Ryan McClelland singled and David Vinsky doubled to lead off the inning, putting runners at second and third to open the game. Javier Martinez drove McClelland home with a single, and Keaton Sackett followed up with a fielder's choice groundout to score Vinsky. This put the Timberwolves up 2-0 after one inning.
- The score remained that way until the fourth when Wayne State cut the lead in half in the fourth with a bang. On the first pitch of the inning, a lead-off solo home run made it a 2-1 game going into the bottom of the frame.
- The Timberwolves responded and added to their edge in the fifth. Vinsky smacked his second double of the day, which was followed by a double by Nick Palmer was able to make NU's lead 3-1.
- NU padded their spread in the bottom of the sixth. Travis Janes doubled to lead off the inning and moved over to third on a Kyle Ziegler groundout. Brian Dombrowski plated Janes on a sacrifice fly to give the Timberwolves a three-run cushion at 4-1 after six innings of play.
- The Timberwolves made it 5-1 in the eighth. Ziegler doubled to left center with two out, and ended up scoring thanks to a throwing error when he stole third.
- The Warriors did not go down without a fight in the ninth. A walk and two infield singles loaded the bases to lead off the inning. With two outs, a two-run bloop single to left cut the deficit to 5-3. However, that is as close as Wayne State would get as Lennon Gwizdala preserved the victory with a game-ending strikeout.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 5/11/2, Wayne State: 3/10/0
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 7, Wayne State: 8
- Winning Pitcher – Max Bain (4-0): 8 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 9 K, 1 BB
- Losing Pitcher – Hunter Brown (2-2): 6 IP, 9 H, 4 R, 5 K, 1 BB
- Save – Lennon Gwizdala (11)
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Vinsky: 4-4, 2 2B, 2 R
- Martinez: 2-4, RBI
- Janes: 2-4, 2B, 1 R
- The win give NU 30 victories on the year, marking just the third time in the 53-year history of the Timberwolves have reached 30 victories. NU won 46 games last season and 30 in 1990.
- David Vinsky collected at least three hits in a game for the 12th time this season. Northwood has gone 9-3 in those games.
- With one weekend remaining in the regular season, Northwood stands with a one-game lead in the GLIAC standings (17-7). Davenport sits in second place at 16-8. NU has already clinched a spot in the GLIAC Tournament and is assured of finishing no worse than third.
- Northwood will travel to Hillsdale for a non-conference game Tuesday afternoon (May 1). Game time is set for 3 p.m.