OVERVIEW – AUBURN MONTGOMERY
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 13, Auburn Montgomery Warhawks 7/Northwood 5, Embry-Riddle Eagles 4
RECORDS: Northwood 13-5/Auburn Montgomery 13-11/Embry-Riddle 13-10
LOCATION: Daytona Beach, Fla.
RECAP: David Vinsky sets the Northwood all-time hits record as baseball earns a pair of wins, downing Auburn Montgomery 13-7 before defeating Embry-Riddle 5-4 Friday (March 15).
AUBURN MONTGOMERY HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood got going in the second inning, starting with a two-run single by Jacob Rybicki.
- Cole Brooks, Kyle Ziegler and David Vinsky all followed with RBI singles to make the score 5-0.
- In the third inning, Miles Hardy made it 6-0 thanks to a run-scoring double.
- Vinsky extended the advantage to 7-0 in the fourth on a solo home run.
- Michael Karam had an RBI single of his own in the fifth to make the lead 8-0
- Northwood then put four on the board in the sixth RBI hits by Hardy and Brooks in the sixth to make the score 10-0.
- After a Ziegler sacrifice fly made it 11-0, Vinsky's third RBI of the day same on a single. That made the score 12-0.
- The Warhawks did not go quietly, scoring five in the sixth and three in the eighth to get within four at 12-8.
- NU rounded out the scoring in the top of the ninth on a Trevor Polewka run-scoring single.
AUBURN MONTGOMERY GAME STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 13/18/1, Auburn Montgomery: 8/11/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 12, Auburn Montgomery: 8
- Winning Pitcher: Max Bain (3-0): 5 1/3 IP, 8 H, 5 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 4 K
- Losing Pitcher: Michah Henderson (2-2): 2 1/3 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 2 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Vinsky: 4-5, HR, 3 RBI
- Hardy: 3-6, 2B, 3B, 2 R, 2 RBI
- Ziegler: 2-4, 2 RBI
- Brooks: 2-6, 2 RBI
- Karam: 3-5, R, RBI
- Rybicki: 2 R, 2 RBI
- Northwood started fast against Embry-Riddle, going up 2-0 two batters into the game on a two-run homer by Ziegler.
- Nick Palmer extended the lead with an RBI double to make it 3-0 in the top of the third inning.
- The score remained that way until the Eagles cut the lead to 3-1 in fifth.
- Vinsky made history in the top of the sixth inning, putting the Timberwolve back on top by three. His solo home run down the line was the 226th hit of his career, setting a new school record for hits in a career. He passed both Daniel Pulver (2013-16) and David Lamky (2001-04), each of whom finished with 225 hits in their careers.
- Polewka added a solo home run of his own in the sixth, giving the Timberwolves a 5-1 lead.
- Embry-Riddle fought back in the seventh, scoring three runs to get within one at 5-4.
- That is as close as they would get, however, as Northwood held the Eagles off the board in the final two innings.
EMBRY-RIDDLE GAME STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 5/7/2, Auburn Montgomery: 4/12/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 6, Auburn Montgomery: 7
- Winning Pitcher: Jake Gross (4-0): 6 1/3 IP, 9 H, 4 R (3 ER), BB, 4 K
- Losing Pitcher: Daniel Agramont (2-3): 6 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 3 BB, 6 K
- Save: Lennon Gwizdala (3): IP, 0 H, 0 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Vinsky: 2-2, HR, R, RBI
- Brooks: 2-3, 2 R
- Ziegler: HR, 2 RB
- Polewka: HR, RBI
- Northwood will open GLIAC play with a series at Purdue Northwest, starting with a single game Friday (March 22) at 5 p.m.