OVERVIEW – PURDUE NORTHWEST
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 4, Purdue Northwest Pride 1
RECORDS: Northwood 13-5, 1-0 GLIAC/Purdue Northwest 2-12, 0-1 GLIAC
LOCATION: Hammond, Ind. – Dowling Park
RECAP: Baseball opened Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) play with a 4-1 win over Purdue Northwest Friday afternoon (March 22)
- Northwood took the lead in the top of the second on an RBI groundout by Keaton Sackett to give the Timberwolves a 1-0 lead.
- NU expanded the lead in the fourth, starting a bunt RBI single by Kyle Ziegler to make it 2-0.
- The next batter, David Vinsky, drew a bases-loaded walk to give Northwood a three-run advantage.
- The Pride got one back in the sixth, sending the game to the final three innings with the score 3-1.
- Northwood got an insurance run in the ninth thanks to an RBI double from Nick Palmer.
- Purdue Northwest made it interesting in the ninth inning, loading the bases with nobody out. However, Lennon Gwizdala responded by retired the final three batters to give the Timberwolves the win.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 4/8/0, Purdue Northwest: 1/8/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 11, Purdue Northwest: 12
- Winning Pitcher: Zach Kregel (4-1): 6 IP, 5 H, R, 4 BB, 5 K
- Losing Pitcher: Kyle Flessner (0-1): 6 IP, 5 H, 3 R (1 ER), 5 BB, 6 K
- Save: Lennon Gwizdala (4): 1 1/3 IP, H, 2 BB, 3 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Palmer: 2-4, 2 2B, RBI
- Ziegler: 2-4, R, RBI
- Northwood and Purdue Northwest will play a doubleheader Saturday (March 23). First pitch is set for 1 p.m.