OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY (GLIAC TOURNAMENT)
SCORES: Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 6, Northwood Timberwolves 3
RECORDS: Northwood 33-19/Saginaw Valley 20-28-1
LOCATION: Pit Spitter Stadium – Traverse City, Michigan
RECAP: Sixth-seeded Saginaw Valley upsets No. 3 Northwood 6-3 in a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) Tournament elimination game Saturday afternoon (May 11)
- The theme of the contest proved to SVSU doing a better job of taking advantage of their scoring opportunities. The Cardinals got on the board with a single run in the top of the first.
- Northwood leveled the score in the second on an RBI from Khale Showers on an error to tie the game.
- Saginaw Valley kept the pressure on in the middle innings, scoring one in the third, two in the fourth, one in the sixth and one in the seventh to open up a 6-1 lead.
- The Timberwolves had numerous chances to score and a number of hard-hit balls that turned into outs. NU ended the game with seven line-outs to the outfield, many of which were caught on excellent diving catches by the Cardinals.
- Northwood did not go quietly in the final inning, however, scoring a run on an error and a bases loaded walk by Nick Palmer to cut the lead to 6-3.
- The Timberwolves had the bases loaded with two outs, but NU left three on base in the final inning to give SVSU the win.
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 3/6/2, Saginaw Valley: 6/12/4
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 11, Saginaw Valley: 6
- Winning Pitcher – Ian Janssen (2-2): 9 IP, 6 H, 3 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 6 K, 136 pitches
- Losing Pitcher – Noah Fiehn (1-1): 3 2/3 IP, 5 H, 4 R (3 ER), BB, 0 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Cole Brooks: 2-5
- Northwood will now find if they have secured a bid to the NCAA Tournament Sunday night at 10 p.m. on NCAA.com. The Timberwolves were the fourth seed in the Midwest Region last week. The top eight teams will make the event.