OVERVIEW – ASHLAND (NCAA TOURNAMENT)
SCORES: Ashland Eagles 6, Northwood Timberwolves 5
RECORDS: Northwood 33-21/Ashland 41-12
LOCATION: Schoonover Stadium – Kent State University (Ashland University Host)
RECAP: Northwood dropped its second straight tough one-run loss at the NCAA Regional tournament, falling 6-5 to top-seeded Ashland Friday afternoon (May 17).
- Ashland got on the board in the top of the first on a solo home run on the first pitch of the game.
- Northwood responded in the bottom of the first inning with a leadoff home run of their own, as David Vinsky hit one out to right field to tie the game.
- After a Cole Brooks double that put him on third after an error, NU made it 2-1 on fielding error.
- The score remained 2-1 until the fourth inning when Michael Karam came through with a big two-out hit. His bases-clearing double to center put three runs on the board and gave Northwood a 5-1 lead.
- Ashland's comeback began in the top of the fifth with a single run.
- AU's biggest hit of the contest came in the top of the seventh – a three-run homer that leveled the score 5-5.
- The Eagles took a 6-5 lead thanks to a two-out wild pitch in the top of the eighth.
- Ashland put the first two runners on in the top of the ninth and eventually loaded the bases with one out, but NU got out of the jam to keep the score at 6-5.
- Northwood was unable to get anyone on base in the final two innings to close out the loss.
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 6/6/3, Ashland: 5/5/0
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 7, Ashland: 6
- Winning Pitcher – Chance Hitchcock (8-2): 7 IP, 5 H, 5 R (4 ER), 5 BB, 4 K
- Losing Pitcher – Jake Gross (8-3): 7 1/3 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 2 BB, 5 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Vinsky: HR, RBI, 2 BB
- Karam: 2B, 3 RBIs
- Both of Northwood's losses at the regional came by one run after leading the majority of the game.
- Ashland and Northwood ended up going 3-3 against each other the season overall – the teams split the four regular season games, while Northwood won in vs. the Eagles in the GLIAC Tournament.
- Northwood's 438 runs this season are the most in school history, breaking the old mark of 430 from the 2017 season.
- Northwood has now completed their season.