OVERVIEW – KENTUCKY WESLEYAN
SCORES: #23 Northwood Timberwolves 13, Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers 3/Northwood 10, Kentucky Wesleyan 1
RECORDS: Northwood 8-2, Kentucky Wesleyan 3-3
LOCATION: Owensboro, Ky.
RECAP: Northwood baseball sweeps a doubleheader at Kentucky Wesleyan Sunday (March 14), winning game one 13-3 before taking game two 10-1
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS (SEVEN INNINGS)
- Northwood set the tone for the day right away, scoring three runs in the top of the first. Cole Brooks started the scoring with an RBI groundout.
- After Khale Showers added an RBI groundout of his own, Carson Longstreth made it 3-0 with a run-scoring double.
- Northwood broke the game open in the third inning Longstreth made it 4-0 in the third with an RBI single.
- Later in the third, Logan Burnett and Michael Karam each walked with the bases loaded to make the score 6-0.
- Jacob Rybicki pushed the lead to 8-0 with a two-run single, which was followed by a David Jeffers two-run single to make the score 10-0 in the third inning.
- The Panthers got on the board with a run in the fourth.
- NU added three more in the sixth thanks to a bases-clearing three-run double by Matt Magno.
- KWC scored two in the bottom of the seventh to round out the scoring.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 13/11/0, Kentucky Wesleyan: 3/7/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 7, Kentucky Wesleyan: 4
- Winning Pitcher: Logan Lee (3-0) 6 IP, 4 H, R, 0 BB, 5 Ks
- Losing Pitcher: Benton McGill (0-1) 2 1/3 IP, 6 H, 7 R, 3 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Longstreth: 3-3, 2B, 2 R, 2 RBIs
- Magno: 1-3, 2B, 3 RBIs
- Jeffers: 3-5, 2 RBIs
- Rybicki: 2-4, 2 R, 2 RBIs
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS (NINE INNINGS)
- Northwood started the scoring in the top of the second on an RBI bunt single by Karam.
- David Jeffers followed up with a sacrifice fly to make the score 2-0.
- Brooks rounded out the scoring in the second for Northwood with a two-run single that pushed the advantage to 4-0.
- The Panthers got one back in the bottom of the inning, making the score 4-1.
- NU got that run right back in the top of the third on an RBI double from Longstreth to get the lead to 5-1.
- In the sixth inning, Rybicki hit a solo homer to left field that made the score 6-1.
- Karam pushed the advantage to 9-1 with a three-run homer in the top of the seventh.
- Connor Kin rounded out the scoring in the eighth inning with an RBI single.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 10/15/1, Kentucky Wesleyan: 1/4/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 11, Kentucky Wesleyan: 6
- Winning Pitcher: Derek Clark (3-0) – 8 IP, 4 H, R, BB, 6 Ks
- Losing Pitcher: CJ Fairchild (1-1) – 5 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 3 BB, 4 Ks
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Karam: 3-5, HR, 2 R, 4 RBIs
- Rybicki: 2-5, HR, 2 R, RBI
- Kin: 3-4, 2 R, RBI
- Brooks: 1-3, 2 RBIs
- Lawson Burnett: 2-4, R
- Northwood will host its home opener Friday (March 19) against Alma. Game time is set for 3 p.m.