OVERVIEW – Davenport
SCORES: Davenport Panthers 6, Northwood Timberwolves 5/Northwood 11, Davenport Panthers 2
RECORDS: Northwood (17-8, 8-6 GLIAC), Davenport (16-10, 9-5 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Gerace Stadium – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood baseball picks up a doubleheader split at home against Davenport Friday afternoon (April 23).
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS (SEVEN INNINGS)
- Davenport jumped out to an early lead. The Panthers added runs in the top of the first and top of the second to go up 2-0.
- The Timberwolves responded in the bottom of the third inning. RBI singles from Matt Magno and Rhett Evans tied up the game.
- Jacob Rybicki added an RBI single in the bottom of the fourth to score Travis Janes, giving the Timberwolves the lead.
- A Connor Kin RBI double to right center extended the NU lead in the fifth.
- Another RBI double, this time by David Jeffers, gave the Timberwolves the 5-2 advantage in the bottom of the sixth.
- NU was three outs away from a series-opening win, but the Panthers rallied back. DU scored four runs in the seventh and then closed out the Timberwolves to steal game one.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Davenport 6/8/0, Northwood 5/9/2
- Runners left on base: Davenport 9, Northwood 6
- Winning Pitcher – Max Swan (1-1): 2/3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
- Losing Pitcher – Jake Jekielek (1-2): 2/3 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K
- Save - Cal Djuraskovic (6): IP, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Jeffers: 2-3, RBI, R
- Kin: 2-3, RBI
- Evans: 2-4, RBI, R
- Janes: 1-2, 2 R
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS (NINE INNINGS)
- The Panthers pushed one run across in the top of the first.
- Northwood responded with a run of their own in the bottom of the inning. An RBI fielder's choice from Matt Magno tied the score at 1-1.
- DU plated an additional run in the top of the third to go up 2-1.
- The Timberwolves exploded for seven runs in the bottom of the third. Northwood capitalized on four hits and three Davenport errors for eight runs. Mike Karam began the scoring, capitalizing on a throwing error to reach home.
- A single from Magno, combined with another DU throwing error, plated two more runs.
- Khale Showers rounded out the scoring in the inning in a big way with a grand slam to left field to make the score 8-2.
- The Northwood offense continued in the bottom of the fourth. A two-run triple from Cole Brooks and an RBI single from Rhett Evans pushed across three more runs, extending the NU lead to 11-2.
- Neither team was able to add a run for the remainder of the game, giving Northwood the 11-2 win.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood 11/11/0, Davenport 2/8/4
- Runners left on base: Northwood 10, Davenport 5
- Winning Pitcher – Derek Clark (5-1): 9 IP, 8 H, 2 R, BB, 8 K
- Losing Pitcher – James Kohl (4-1): 2.1 IP, 3 H, 7 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Brooks: 4-5, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Showers: 2-4, 4 RBI, R, Grand Slam
- Magno: 3 RBI, R
- Northwood and Davenport will continue their series with a single game Saturday (April 24). First pitch is set for 1 p.m.