OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 9, Saginaw Valley State 4/Northwood 31, Saginaw Valley 12
RECORDS: Northwood (20-9, 12-7 GLIAC), Saginaw Valley (12-10, 8-7 GLIAC)
LOCATION: SVSU Baseball Complex – University Center, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood baseball sweeps Saginaw Valley Saturday afternoon, taking game one 9-4 before winning a record-breaking 31-12 contest in game two
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS (SEVEN INNINGS)
- Northwood got going in the second inning thanks to a three-run homer by Michael Karam.
- NU added a pair in the sixth thanks to a sacrifice fly from Carson Longstreth and a wild pitch that plated Connor Kin.
- The Cardinals got two back in the bottom of the sixth to make the score 5-2.
- NU extended the lead in the seventh, starting with an RBI double from Mike Magno.
- Rhett Evans then hit a two-run homer, which was followed by a Karam RBI single to make the lead 9-2.
- SVSU got a two-run homer in the seventh to make the final 9-4.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Saginaw Valley 4/13/2, Northwood 9/11/2
- Runners left on base: Saginaw Valley 8, Northwood 10
- Winning Pitcher – Alan LaBav (3-0): 6 IP, 9 H, 2 R (0 ER), BB
- Losing Pitcher – Nolan Knauf (2-1): 5 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 BB, 7 Ks
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Karam: 2-4, HR, R, 4 RBIs
- Evans: 3-4, HR, 3 R, 2 RBIs
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS (NINE INNINGS)
- SVSU scored the first run of the game in the first inning to go up 1-0.
- Kin started his big game with a two-run homer in the second to put Timberwolves on top 2-1.
- Karam then added a two-run single later in the inning.
- David Jeffers capped the second inning with a two-run homer to make the lead 6-1.
- The Cardinals got one back in the bottom of the inning to get within four at 6-2.
- Kin hit his second home run of the game in the third, which was followed by an RBI single by Jacob Rybicki and a two-run single by Magno to make the score 10-2.
- Karam then hit a two-run homer in the fourth to take the advantage to 12-2.
- SVSU scored two in the bottom of the fourth.
- Magno hit a two-run homer in the fifth to get the lead back to 10 at 14-4.
- Northwood scored three more in the sixth thanks to an RBI groundout by Cole Brooks and a two run single by Magno.
- The Cardinals rallied back into the game, scoring eight runs in the sixth and seventh innings to get back within five at 17-12.
- Northwood broke the game wide open with a 10-run eighth inning. Rybicki got the inning going with a solo home run.
- Evans then blasted a three-run homer to get the Timberwolves to 21 runs for the game.
- Kin then hit his third home run of the game, making the score 22-12.
- Karam plated two with a double, which was followed by a Jeffers RBI single.
- Brooks capped the inning with a two-run double, making the score 27-12.
- Kin then hit his record-breaking home run, hitting his fourth home run of the game.
- Rybicki capped the scoring with a three-run homer, making the final 31-12.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Saginaw Valley 12/15/3, Northwood 31/27/2
- Runners left on base: Saginaw Valley 11, Northwood 8
- Winning Pitcher – Logan Lee (5-1): 6 IP, 9 H, 7 R (5 ER), 3 BB, 8 Ks
- Losing Pitcher – Kyle Henigan (0-2): 2 2/3 IP, 11 H, 10 R, 2 BB, K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Kin: 4-6, 4 R, 4 HRs, 5 RBIs
- Rybicki: 5-8, 5 R, 2 HR, 5 RBIs
- Jeffers: 4-7, 5 R, 3 RBIs
- Brooks: 3-5, 2 R, 3 RBIs
- Magno: 3-6, R, 6 RBIs
- Evans: 2-6, 2 R, 3 RBIs
- Kin's four home runs is the most for a player in program history.
- Northwood's 31 runs and 10 home runs are both records for GLIAC games.
- Northwood and SVSU will finish their weekend series with a single game Sunday (May 2). Game time is set for 1:05 p.m.