OVERVIEW – ASHLAND (GLIAC TOURNAMENT)
SCORES: #4 Ashland Eagles 6, #3 Northwood Timberwolves 4 (12 Innings - GLIAC Tournament Opening Round)
RECORDS: Northwood (27-13), Ashland (22-14)
LOCATION: Jackson Field – Lansing, Mich.
RECAP: Third-seeded Northwood baseball drops a tough 6-4 extra-inning contest against fourth-seeded Ashland Thursday (May 20) to open play in the GLIAC Tournament.
- Ashland got off to a good start in the game, hitting solo home runs in the second and the third innings to go up 3-0.
- The Eagles made it 4-0 later in the third inning.
- Northwood began its comeback in the bottom of the fourth on a Cole Brooks solo home run.
- Jacob Rybicki cut the lead to one with a two-run homer in the fifth to get the score to 4-3.
- The Timberwolves tied the game in the bottom of the sixth on a double play ball that brought home Brooks.
- Ashland had chances to add on to the lead but Northwood turned three double plays in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings.
- Missed chances plagued Northwood in the late going, starting in the ninth. The Timberwolves had a great chance to end the game. NU had a runner on third with nobody out, but the Eagles found a way to hold the Timberwolves off the board to send the game to extra innings.
- NU had another chance in the 10th with runners on first and third with two outs but were unable to end the game.
- Northwood loaded the bases in the 11th but were held off the board once again.
- The Eagles broke through in the 12th inning, scoring a pair of runs on a double to go up 6-4.
- The Timberwolves were unable to get anything going in the 12th to give the Eagles the win.
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Ashland 6/15/1, Northwood 4/13/2
- Runners left on base: Ashland 15, Northwood 12
- Winning Pitcher – Joel Ciccarelli (3-0) 2 1/3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher – Derek Clark (7-2): 4 2/3 IP, H, 2 R, 2 K, 4 BB
- Save – Perry Bewley (11): IP, H
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Brooks: 3-5, HR, 2 R, RBI
- Rybicki: 1-4, HR, 2 RBI
- Magno: 3-6
- Showers: 2-6
- Northwood will play top-seeded Davenport in the second round at 2 p.m. NU will need to win to stay in the event.