SCORE: No. 11 Ferris State Bulldogs 24, Northwood Timberwolves 14
RECORDS: Northwood (5-4, 3-4 GLIAC), Ferris State (7-1, 6-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Top Taggart Field – Big Rapids, Mich.
RECAP: No. 11 Ferris State picks up a 24-14 win over Northwood Saturday afternoon (October 28).
INSIDE THE GAME
- After Northwood went three-and-out to start the game, Ferris State marched down the field to get on the board first. The Bulldogs went 73 yards in nine plays and capped the drive with a touchdown to earn an early 7-0 lead.
- Early in the second quarter, Ferris State extended their advantage. FSU went 40 yards in eight plays, earning a touchdown to go up 14-0 with 12:29 remaining in the first half.
- Both teams would have chances to get on the board for the remainder of the first half, but the score remained 14-0 at the break. The Bulldogs held a big statistical edge at halftime, out-gaining Northwood 282-79 at the break while holding a 12-6 edge in first downs.
- The score remained 14-0 Ferris State until halfway through the fourth quarter. After more than 34 minutes of game time without any points, the final 7:34 saw both offenses get going. The Bulldogs foot advantage of Northwood getting stopped on fourth down to go 14 yards and kick a field goal to make the score 17-0.
- Northwood got on the board for the first time on the following drive, going 61 yards on eight plays. The drive was capped by a 34-yard touchdown pass from Joe Garbarino to Travis Vuich to cut the FSU lead down to 17-7 with 5:42 remaining.
- Ferris State wasted no time responded to the NU touchdown, going 80 yards in six plays for a touchdown of their own. That made the score 24-7 with 3:03 remaining.
- Northwood got a trick play to get within 10. Garbarino found Alex Spicuzzi, who then lateralled to Vashon Nutt. Nutt went 64 yards for a touchdown, making the score 24-14 with 2:44 left.
- The Timberwolves recovered the following onside kick, but an interception on the next play ended NU's hopes for a comeback win.
- FIRST DOWNS: Ferris State 21, Northwood 13
- RUSHES-YARDS: Northwood 39-93, Ferris State 54-246
- PASSING (COMPLETIONS-ATTEMPTS-YARDS-TDs-INTs: Ferris State 13-27-203-1-0, Northwood 10-28-193-2-2)
- TOTAL OFFENSE, PLAYS-YARDS: Northwood 67-286, Ferris State 81-449
- TIME OF POSSESSION: Ferris State 33:11, Northwood 26:49
- Garbarino: 193 yards passing, 2 TDs,
- Nutt: 42 yards rushing, 76 yards receiving, receiving TD
- Vuich: 45 yards receiving, TD
- Charles Williams: Eight tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, sack, two pass breakups
- Nick Tripp: 12 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, fumble recovery
- Chad Samuels: 11 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss
- Williams now has 15 tackles for loss and six sacks, both of which share the lead among all players in the GLIAC.
- The Timberwolves will host its home finale Saturday (November 4) against Saginaw Valley in the annual Axe Bowl. Game time is set for 1 p.m.