SCORE: Hillsdale Chargers 37, Northwood Timberwolves 30
RECORDS: Hillsdale Chargers (4-1), Northwood Timberwolves (0-6)
LOCATION: Hantz Stadium – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood allows the final 23 point of the game in tough 37-30 overtime loss to Hillsdale (October 12).
INSIDE THE GAME
- Northwood wasted no time getting on the board. Al Spicuzzi gave the Timberwolves huge momentum, returning the Hillsdale kick-off 72 yards to the Hillsdale 18-yard line to set up Northwood's opening drive. On the third play of the drive, Joe Garbarino rushed 14 yards to the endzone to give Northwood a 6-0 lead with 13:40 remaining in the third quarter.
- The Chargers responded in the second quarter. A 13-play, 60-yard drive was finished off by David Graham's 1-yard rushing touchdown as Hillsdale took a 7-6 advantage with 12:12 left in the half.
- Not to be outdone, the Timberwolves responded on the very next play in exciting fashion. Jake Vincent returned Hillsdale's kickoff 91-yards for a touchdown. This put Northwood back on top 13-7.
- Strong defense from the Timberwolves gave Northwood possession on the Hillsdale 46-yard line. A nine-play Northwood drive was capitalized by Nate Gomez's 1-yard rushing touchdown with 3:58 remaining in the half to make the score 20-7, which they would ultimately be the score at halftime.
- The Chargers cut their deficit quickly coming out of the break. A six play, 60-yard drive ended in touchdown to make the NU lead to 20-14.
- With 5:54 remaining in the third quarter, the Timberwolves were able to extend their lead. A successful 29-yard field goal from Parker Blust gave Northwood a 23-14 advantage.
- On the following Hillsdale possession, Northwood was able to force a fumble, which gave the ball to Northwood at the HC 14. Four plays later, Jalen Lewis scored a two-yard rushing touchdown with 3:44 remaining in the third to make the score 30-14.
- That, however proved to the last points of the game for Northwood. The Chargers had two TDs and successful two-point conversion attempts in the fourth quarter to send the game to overtime.
- Hillsdale was able to score a touchdown and complete their extra-point attempt to go up 37-30 after the opening possession of OT.
- On Northwood's overtime drive, they reached the Hillsdale two yard line but were stopped on fourth down, giving the Chargers the win.
- FIRST DOWNS: Hillsdale 26, Northwood 14
- RUSHES-YARDS: Hillsdale 60-181, Northwood 34-130
- PASSING YARDS: Hillsdale 228 (26-16-0), Northwood 111 (22-12-0)
- TOTAL OFFENSE, PLAYS-YARDS: Hillsdale 86-409, Northwood 56-241
- TIME OF POSSESSION: Hillsdale 40:30, Northwood 19:30
- Garbarino: 68 passing yards, 46 rushing yards, TD
- Vincent: 91-yard kick return TD
- Spicuzzi: 72 yard kick return
- Gomez: Rushing TD
- Abro: 16 tackles
- Erik Santiago: 15 tackles
- Mahlaon Slaughter/Luke Baker: 12 tackles
- The Timberwolves will travel to Ferris State next Saturday (October 19). Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.