SCORE: Michigan Tech Huskies 34, Northwood Timberwolves 21
RECORDS: Northwood (1-10, 1-7 GLIAC), Michigan Tech (5-5, 3-5 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Kearly Stadium – Houghton, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood falls 34-21 at Michigan Tech to complete the 2019 season Saturday afternoon (November 16).
INSIDE THE GAME
- Michigan Tech was the better team in the first half, getting on the board first with a field goal with 7:24 remaining in the first quarter to cap a 7:36 drive that covered 72 yards in 13 plays.
- The Huskies put together a drive that was almost exactly the same as their opening scoring march in the second quarter to make the score 6-0. MTU went 71 yards in 13 plays over the span of 7:32 seconds to double their lead.
- MTU found the end zone on their final possession of the first half to send the game to the break with the Huskies leading 13-0.
- The Northwood offense got going in the third quarter. The Timberwolves went 80 yards in seven plays, capping the drive with a Nate Gomez to Christian Martinez for an eight yard touchdown to make the score 13-7 with 6:50 remaining in the third.
- After the two teams combined for 20 points in the first three quarters, both offenses moved the ball in the fourth. MTU started the scoring with a TD at the 11:33 mark, making the score 20-7.
- Less than two minutes later, the Timberwolves made it a one-score game once again thanks to a big play. Gomez found Tajae Leslie for a 66-yard touchdown pass to make it a six point game at 20-14 with 9:40 remaining.
- MTU wasted no time responding to that NU touchdown, scoring on the second play of the following drive to get their lead back to 27-14 at the 8:56 mark.
- Northwood made it three touchdown drives in four possessions on the following drive. The Timberwolves went 55 yards in seven plays of 2:13 to make the score 27-21 thanks to a Justin Cook one-yard run.
- On the following possession, Michigan Tech made it a combined five consecutive drives with a touchdown for the two teams. That drive pushed their advantage to 34-21 with 3:55 remaining.
- Northwood was unable to put anything together on their final possession, giving the win to Michigan Tech.
- FIRST DOWNS: Northwood 9, Michigan Tech 27
- RUSHES-YARDS: Northwood 24-106, Michigan Tech 47-268
- PASSING YARDS (COMPLETIONS/PASSES/TDs/INTs): Northwood 150 (7-20-2-0), Michigan Tech 317 (20-26-2-0)
- TOTAL OFFENSE, PLAYS-YARDS: Northwood 44-256, Michigan Tech 73-585
- TIME OF POSSESSION: Northwood 18:43, Michigan Tech 41:17
- Gomez: 142 passing yards, 2 TDs
- Leslie: 70 yards receiving, TD, 42 yards rushing
- Dimitri Abro: 15 tackles, sack, 1.5 tackles for loss
- Luke Bakker: 13 tackles
- Erik Santiago: 13 tackles
- Dylan Zagula: 10 tackles
- The Timberwolves have now completed their season.