OVERVIEW – Northwood vs. Gannon
SCORE: Gannon Golden Knights 28, Northwood Timberwolves 21 (OT)
RECORDS: Northwood (0-1, 0-0 GLIAC), Gannon (1-0, 0-0 PSAC)
LOCATION: Midland Community Stadium – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood falls to Gannon in season opener 28-21 in overtime Thursday night (September 2).
INSIDE THE GAME
- NU won the toss and deferred to Gannon. The Golden Knights reached the Northwood 19 before Keenan Williamson's interception at the Northwood 10 ended the opening drive.
- The Northwood defense got the Timberwolves going in the first quarter. A bad Gannon snap gave the Timberwolves the ball on the Gannon 26. Five plays later, a successful Parker Blust 32-yard field goal gave Northwood the first lead of the game with 5:06 remaining in the first quarter.
- The Golden Knights responded on the following possession. A 13-play, 78-yard drive was capitalized with a 1-yard rushing touchdown by Melvin Blanks with 45 seconds remaining in the quarter. The successful extra point attempt gave Gannon the 7-3 lead.
- A 57-yard kick return by Cashual Goldsmith set the Timberwolves up in Gannon territory. The Timberwolves were able to capitalize with a 26-yard Blust field goal to put the score at 7-6 with 13:22 remaining in the half.
- In the final moments of the half, the Golden Knights put together a 74-yard drive to the Northwood nine. Williamson came up big once again with his second interception of the game in the end zone, giving the Timberwolves momentum going into the break.
- Faced with 4th and 2 early in the third quarter, a fake punt attempt kept the NU drive alive with a 22-yard pass from Blust to Noah Koenigsknecht. The Timberwolves reached the Gannon 14 before losing possession due to a turnover on downs.
- Gannon then put together a eight-play, 89-yard drive that they capitalized on with a 8-yard touchdown pass to Isaiah Pae. The extra point attempt was good as the Golden Knights extended their lead to 14-6 at the end of the third quarter.
- Northwood wasted no time responding. A 55-yard touchdown rush by Goldsmith brought the Timberwolves within 2 with 14:53 remaining in the game. The Timberwolves were then able to tie the game with a two-point conversion thanks to a diving Nate Gomez rush, setting up an exciting remainder of the fourth quarter.
- A blocked Northwood punt allowed Gannon to start their drive on the Northwood 31. Four plays later, Gannon reached the endzone with a nine-yard touchdown pass to take the 21-14 lead with 10:39 remaining in the game.
- On the following drive, the Timberwolves put together two first downs before Gomez's pass was intercepted at the Gannon 36 with 4:57 remaining in the game.
- Northwood started their final drive of regulation on their own five-yard line with just over three minutes remaining. The Timberwolves moved quickly, beginning with a 36-yard pass from Gomez to Koenigsknecht.
- Facing a 4th and 10 situation, a holding call on the defense gave Northwood a 1st and 10 at the Gannon 37 with just under two minutes to play.
- In a scramble situation, Gomez connected with Christian Martinez on a 28-yard pass, advancing the Timberwolves to the Gannon 9.
- A one-yard rush by Goldsmith capitalized the exhilarating 11 play, 95-yard Northwood drive with just 18 seconds remaining in the contest. Blust's kick attempt was good, tying the game at 21-21 and sending the game to overtime.
- The Timberwolves won the toss, deferring to the Golden Knights. On the very first play, Gannon scored on a 25-yard touchdown pass. The successful kick attempt put Gannon up 28-21.
- Northwood's drive fell short as Gomez's pass was intercepted at the Gannon 14, ending the contest.
- FIRST DOWNS: Northwood 18, Gannon 21
- RUSHES-YARDS: Northwood 44-165, Gannon 32-143
- PASSING YARDS: Northwood 166 (14-28, 166, 0 TD, 2 INT), Gannon 249 (17-37, 249, 3 TD, 2 INT)
- TOTAL OFFENSE, PLAYS-YARDS: Northwood 72-331, Gannon 69-392
- TIME OF POSSESSION: Northwood 35:34, Gannon 24:26
- Goldsmith: 112 yards rushing, 2 TD
- Gomez: 144 passing yards
- Williamson: 2 INT, 8 tackles
- Blust: 2/2 FG, 22 passing yards (1 completion)
- Koenigschnet: 64 yards receiving
- The Timberwolves will travel to Tiffin next Saturday (September 11). Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.