OVERVIEW – CENTRAL MICHIGAN (EXHIBITION)
SCORE: Central Michigan Chippewas 81, Northwood Timberwolves 71
RECORDS: Northwood (0-0), Central Michigan (0-0)
LOCATION: McGuirk Arena – Mt. Pleasant, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood battles hard and competes throughout, but the Timberwolves fall at Central Michigan 81-71 in exhibition action Sunday afternoon (November 5).
- Central Michigan scored nine of the first 11 points of the game, but Northwood chipped away at the lead. The Timberwolves eventually went on top at 20-19 and took their biggest of the day at 31-25.
- Northwood ended up taking a 39-38 lead at halftime, thanks to shooting 51.4 percent from the floor (18-35).
- Central Michigan finished the opening half at 33.3 percent (9-27).
- The Timberwolves out-rebounded CMU 22-15 in the half, which was a bit part of NU finishing with a 11-2 edge in second chance points.
- In what would become the key statistic in the contest, the Chippewas stayed close thanks to the foul line. CMU out-scored Northwood 18-1 from the line in the opening 20 minutes.
- The score remained close throughout the second half – the final margin of 10 points was the largest for either team.
- The game was tied 52-52 with under 12 minutes remaining
- Central Michigan went on top for good at the 11:41 mark, going up 54-52.
- CMU had a remarkable half at the foul line, making all 26 of their attempts. Northwood went 0-3 from the stripe in the second half.
- That 26-0 edge in free throws in the second half allowed the Chippewas to out-score the Timberwolves 43-32 in the final 20 minutes despite Northwood making five more field goals (13-8) and five more 3-pointers (6-1).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northwood .463 (31-67), Central Michigan .354 (17-48)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE : Northwood .333 (8-24), Central Michigan .214 (3-14)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northwood .125 (1-8), Central Michigan .917 (44-48)
- REBOUNDS: Northwood 36 (14 offensive), Central Michigan 37 (11 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northwood 14/12, Central Michigan 3/9
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- David Jelinek: 13 points, 6-8 from the floor
- Brad Schaub: 11 points, five rebounds
- Kelvin Calhoun II: 10 points, four rebounds
- The Timberwolves will head to Nebraska for an exhibition contest Tuesday night (November 7). Game time is set for 8 p.m.