OVERVIEW – #1 BELLARMINE (GLIAC/GLVC CHALLENGE – HOSTED BY SVSU)
SCORE: Bellarmine Knights 88, Northwood Timberwolves 77
RECORDS: Northwood (0-2), Bellarmine (2-0)
LOCATION: O'Neil Arena – University Center, Mich.
RECAP: Top ranked Bellarmine uses a big push to open the second half to defeat Northwood 88-77 Saturday afternoon (November 10).
- A day after struggling from the floor in the opening half against Indianapolis, Northwood's offense was hot in the opening 20 minutes.
- Northwood led by as many as eight in the half, while BU led by as many as five.
- A Jack Ammerman four-point play with less than two seconds remaining in the half gave the Timberwolves a 44-43 lead at the break.
- Both teams shot the ball well in the second half – BU ended the half at 56.0 percent (14-25) while Northwood ended up at 53.3 percent (16-30).
- NU's shooting from 3-point range was the key to the lead, as the Timberwolves went 10-17 (58.8 percent) in the opening 20 minutes
- Bellarmine set the tone for the second half immediately, scoring the first 15 points of the second half to open up a 58-44 lead.
- The Knights led by as 20 before the Timberwolves made a late push. NU cut the lead down to eight at 83-75 before BU closed out the win.
- BU's offense got better in the second half, making 60.0 percent from the floor after the break (18-30).
- Northwood fell back to 33.3 percent overall (7-21) in the second half.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Bellarmine .582 (32-55), Northwood .451 (23-51)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Bellarmine .375 (6-16), Northwood .519 (14-27)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Bellarmine .720 (18-25), Northwood .773 (17-22)
- REBOUNDS: Bellarmine 37 (12 offensive), Northwood 20 (seven offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Bellarmine 19/11, Northwood 17/10
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Alec Marty: 17 points, 4-6 from 3-point range
- Trey McBride: 12 points, four rebounds
- Jack Ammerman: 11 points, five assists, zero turnovers
- Ja'Kavien Lewis: Nine points, six assists four steals.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Alaska-Anchorage Friday (November 16). Game time is set for 9 p.m. (ET).