OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 73, Wayne State Warriors 70
RECORDS: Northwood (7-10, 4-5 GLIAC), Wayne State (3-10, 3-6 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Matthaei Center – Detroit, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood finishes off 73-70 road win at Wayne State Thursday night (January 17).
- The opening half was extremely tight throughout – the largest lead for either team was seven points, which Northwood held (35-28) with 1:30 remaining.
- The Warriors scored the final six points of the half at that point to send the game to the break with NU leading 35-34.
- Northwood finished the first half going 14-30 from the floor (46.7 percent) but made just one of seven 3-point attempts.
- WSU ended up making 13 of 31 attempts from the floor in the opening 20 minutes (41.9 percent). The Warriors also made one 3-pointer in the half.
- Wayne State came out strong in the second half, scoring 11 of the first 15 points to go up by six.
- That proved to be the biggest lead for WSU – Northwood went back on top for good at 55-54 with 9:25 remaining.
- The Timberwolves led by as many as seven down the stretch, but WSU continued to fight. Wayne State cut the lead down to one with under 40 seconds remaining before a David Jelinek layup for Northwood finished out the scoring at 73-70
- Northwood went inside for the final 20 minutes of the game – NU shot 16-29 from the floor after the break (55.2 percent). The Timberwolves shot only one 3-pointer in the second half, which they made.
- Wayne State finished the second half at 41.4 percent (12-29).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .417 (25-60), Northwood .508 (30-59)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .250 (3-12), Northwood .250 (2-8)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .895 (17-19), Northwood .611 (11-18)
- REBOUNDS: Wayne State 34 (Nine offensive), Northwood 35 (Seven offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Wayne State 10/15, Northwood 11/13
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Ja'Kavien Lewis: 18 points, eight assists, three rebounds
- Alec Marty: 14 points, three steals
- Trey McBride/Zach Allread: 12 points
- David Jelinek: 10 points, eight rebounds, 5-6 from the floor.
- Northwood had lost six straight games in the Mathaei Center prior to tonight. NU's last win at Wayne State was February 11, 2012 (70-63).
- The Timberwolves will travel to #8 Ashland Saturday (January 19) Game time is set for 3 p.m.