OVERVIEW – #8 ASHLAND
SCORE: Ashland Eagles 75, Northwood Timberwolves 60
RECORDS: Northwood (7-11, 4-6 GLIAC), Ashland (16-1, 9-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Kates Gymnasium – Ashland, Ohio
RECAP: Eighth-ranked Ashland rides a strong opening half on the defensive end to defeat Northwood 75-60 Saturday afternoon (January 19).
- Ashland scored the opening two points of the game and never allowed Northwood to lead in the game.
- The Eagles took their biggest lead of the opening 20 minutes at the end of the first half, leading 31-19
- Northwood struggled to get their offense going in the first half, shooting just 28.1 percent overall (9-32). NU also missed all seven of their 3-point attempts.
- AU finished the half at 44.8 percent (13-29) while going 4-13 from 3-point range (30.8 percent).
- Ashland came out fast in the second half, opening up the biggest lead of the game at 41-21 with 15:29 remaining.
- Northwood chipped away at the lead, eventually cutting the advantage down to six (59-53).
- The Timberwolves missed a 3-point attempt that would have cut the advantage down to three, after which the Eagles finished off the victory.
- Northwood more than doubled their point total in the second half, making 17-36 attempts from the floor (47.2 percent). NU did continue to struggle from 3-point range after the break, going 2-10 from beyond the arc.
- Ashland shot 46.4 percent in the second half (13-28) but made 17 of 18 free throw attempts (94.4 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Ashland .456 (26-57), Northwood .382 (26-68)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Ashland .263 (5-19), Northwood .118 (2-17)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Ashland .800 (18-20), Northwood .600 (6-10)
- REBOUNDS: Ashland 38 (Eight offensive), Northwood 38 (14 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Ashland 12/12, Northwood 9/12
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Ja'Kavien Lewis: 17 points, 11 rebounds, six assists (first career double-double)
- Trey McBride: 17 points, six rebounds two steals
- Zach Allread: 12 points
- The Timberwolves will travel to Saginaw Valley Saturday (January 26). Game time is set for 3 p.m.