OVERVIEW – LAKE SUPERIOR STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 90, Lake Superior State Lakers 85 (2OT)
RECORDS: Northwood (9-11, 6-6 GLIAC), Lake Superior State Lakers (10-8, 6 -6 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood posts second half comeback to earn a 90-85 double overtime win against Lake Superior State Thursday night (January 31).
- Lake Superior State scored the first points of the game and led the remainder of the first half.
- The Lakers led by as many as 16 before settling for a 41-28 lead at the break.
- NU made 36.7 percent of their attempts from the floor (11-30), including 33.3 percent of their three-point tries (3-9).
- LSSU sunk 60.7 percent of their overall shots (17-28), making 60 percent of their shots count from behind the arc (6-10).
- Lake Superior State tried to pull away early in the second half, pushing their lead to 48-32 four minutes in.
- Northwood soon made their move and responded with their first big run of the night, posting a 16-3 run to draw within three by the halfway point.
- LSSU regained their mojo, scoring 11 of the next 16 points to take a 62-53 lead with just over six minutes left.
- Again, the Timberwolves answered with authority, posting a 15-5 run down the stretch to take their first lead of the game with a minute to go. After trading points, the two teams soon settled for overtime tied 69-69.
- In the second half, Northwood made 50 percent of their attempts (14-28) and converted on 75 percent of their shots from behind the arc (3-4).
- LSSU shot 37 percent from the field (10-27), sinking 33.3 percent of their attempts from three-point range (3-9).
- The two teams exchanged leads throughout the first extra session.
- With the score tied 76-76, the two teams combined to turn the ball over the final three possession to send the game to another OT.
- Northwood got a tip in from Danny Kolp on the first possession of overtime to set the tone.
- NU never trailed in the second overtime and rode a hot offense in the final five minutes, going 5-8 from the floor (62.5 percent) and 4-5 from the foul line. Northwood scored on putbacks in two their three misses in double overtime.
- LSSU finished at 37.5 percent in the second overtime (3-8).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .471 (32-68), Northwood .464 (32-69)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .385 (10-26), Northwood .500 (7-14)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .733 (11-15), Northwood .731 (19-26)
- REBOUNDS: Lake Superior State 39 (5 offensive), Northwood 41 (7 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 17/21, Northwood 14/19
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Trey McBride: 23 points, eight rebounds, four assists, three blocks, three steals
- Ja'Kavien Lewis: 19 points, 10 assists
- Alec Marty: 18 points, eight rebounds
- Danny Kolp: Eight points (all in double overtime)
- Heading into last Saturday's game at Saginaw Valley, Northwood was 0-8 in games which they trailed at halftime. NU has now won two straight games they trailed at the break. Northwood trailed by as many as 15 in the second half against SVSU and 16 after the break against LSSU.
- After touching nine assists four different times this season, Ja'Kavien Lewis had his first 10-assist performance tonight. It marks his second double-double of the season.
- The Timberwolves will host Ferris State Saturday for a matchup against the Bulldogs (February 2). Tip-off is set for 6 p.m.